Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DR Boot care

I just purchased a pair of DR boots, I'm a size 9 and these were a size 8 but they fitted me lengthwise, but were almost like "bondage boots" in the width, and were very uncomfortable, as I believe most people find them as they are very slim fittng and very tight around the ankle. I would have just passed them on to someone else but I thought to myself why shouldn't they fit as the length was correct? Then it dawned on me that they have shrunk after nearly 70 years, so knowing a bit about leather as I used to do leatherwork when I was younger., I realised that they had shrunk considerably due to moisture loss over the years (in the form of natural oils) as leather naturally contains about 14% moisture but inevitably these ones were considerably less than that!
I decided to use neatsfoot oil in the form of Vanner and Prest's neatsfoot compound which contains the fat from the legs of cattle etc to form a conditioner to put the moisture back in there and more importantly to reduce it's brittleness, so I started to use it applying it with a rag at first, but soon realised that it was sucking it up faster than I could apply it so I ended up pouring in about one eggcup full into each boot and working it around the inside with my bare hands which actually is the best way to do it.
After about 10 minutes it had completely absorbed it but the boots were still a little stiff, so as we speak they have now absorbed approximately 1/2 litre of the stuff, indicating just how dried out they were, the leather is now very supple and it now stretches a little every time I put them on,they were that uncomfortable that I could only wear them for a few minutes at a time. They always tell you that you shouldn't overdo them as the can end up too soft, but you can use this to your advantage by putting scrunched up newspapers in there to relieve any tight spots, I am now trying to work on the uppers as they are too tight which is very odd as I do not have big calf muscles in fact the opposite! I now feel as each time I wear them they are giving just where they need to to make them comfortable and I just have to spend a little more time on the tops and they will fit just perfectly.
I just makes you realise just how much they have dried out if they have absorbed half a litre of the stuff!
They are just a little bit greasy at the moment but thats how I want them to be until they have given just to how I want them. There was a time when it was said that neatsfoot oil caused the stitching to rot, but the new compounds are guaranteed not to.
The point I'm trying to make is that the boots that you have and don't like wearing CAN be made a lot more comfortable by spending a little bit of time on them but most people don't try, leather is an organic material that can last for years, but it does need a little bit of time spending on it and at the prices they are starting to fetch would definately repay a little time spent on them. I once had a pair of size 8's in the past but didn't spend any time getting them to fit and ended up getting rid of them, now that I was looking to replace them I was amazed at the prices they were now asking for them.
The main thing is that now they don't squeak!!!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: DR Boot care

Hi all,

I'm in the leather goods manufacturing business. Neatsfoot oil is a good product to use on dried out leather. Another product that works really well and isn't as oily is Lexol Conditioner. It works good on dried up leather saddles and tack equipment. I just bought a new pair of ammo boots and I have small wide feet so finding shoes that actually fit is always a challenge. The first thing I do whenever I buy new boots of any kind is go to the sink and fill them with hot water. I then put in some thin socks, preferably something as slippery as possible, and then I put on some cotton socks over those. After about 15-20 minutes of soaking, I put the boots on and wear them for as long as I can possibly stand it, 2-3 hrs if I can. Wearing them while they're wet breaks them in quickly and they take the shape of your feet. I then let them dry slowly, don't put them on front of the stove or heater, if you do it will make them stiff. After that, I put the Lexol to them to make them soft. Then Voila!!!! Your boots are molded to your feet and they're soft!

I was talking to a soldier the other day and he said that he used to soak his ammo boots in the bath, then put them on and do a long run in them and every time his foot was on the floor it spread out, thus slowly stretching with every footfall. But I think it would be best to condition them first as the fibres have lost the ability to move across each other without damaging them. He said he used to let them dry out as slowly as possible.

we weed in our boots to soften them before a long march...

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

For just one moment I had a vision of gardening in them........but now I know what you mean!!!!

Here is another pair Dave,

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

i have been learning about british army ww2 DR boots there seems to be 2 types one where the lace holes go right to the top of the boot the other type the lace holes only go up to 1 or 2 holes just under the side straps so once strapped up they look the same as to stretching boot there shoe trees ie a wooden foot split down the middle with some threads to open them up when they are in the boot

All I know is that they'd have to stop the war for me to put them on!!! I believe the same is true for Morris Commercials!

Oh Dave! How very dare you?

Photobucket

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Was this picture taken an hour after you decided to start it and get it out?!!!!...............I thought so!

Dave I've owned this truck for 22 years and it's never failed to start in an instant. I love owning it because of it's georgius ugliness and British heritage. However I have to agree I might have a different view if I had to go to war with it. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I like it. Very, erm, period looking.

The only reason I know was that I was round at Terry Tills on day and he was having a bit of a sort out which involved starting each vehicle and giving it a short run and putting it back in place, I remember that the one he had needed to be primed and all sorts of stuff, it reminded me of starting an old biplane!
Yet all the American stuff he had started "on the button" (halftracks, Stuart tank etc) The one I was really impressed with was a Bren carrier that had a blowing exhaust, it sounded awsome!
That reminds me I've got the block/crank and valves etc to a V8 flathead Pilot motor going cheap if anyone is missing one for a Bren carrier

There's only one version of the British DR boot...it remained unchanged from 1941 until the late-1970's when production finally stopped....

The lace holes finish just at the base of the top wrap-around flap.....any that lace up all the way to the top (below the flap) are post-war Belgian or Dutch issue....quantities of these were available in the UK about 20 years ago....

The standard British DR boot came in 3 width fittings per foot size (small, medium and wide)....the leg portion is not at all narrow and can be adjusted to fit most legs, even today's variety !

Mine appear to be a 'variant'..perhaps later ones. They are identical in every respect to my 'normal' DR Boots apart from having a rubber sole. I got them NOS from someone I used to work with...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1