Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic spraying question

Any spraying experts out there?...I have a petrol tank to spray which has to have a base colour applied and then a coloured 'panel' Masking a panel shape with masking tape and getting it to make a nice smooth curve is tricky and sharper radii are even more difficult.
Do professional sprayers use something else?..or are they just better at it?...Ian

Re: Off topic spraying question

Ian I assume you're talking about ordinary masking tape - which isn't what you want. There's some thinner stuff (not as wide, I mean) that curves and stretches very easily. It's low tack, and has a finer edge to preclude paint creep. Most tank panels are, of course, pin-striped afterward and then lacquered. If you're planning to pin-stripe, you can probably get away with ordinary masking tape if you don't mind having a slightly threepenny bit edge.

If not, any decent paint factor will have the tape you need which deforms nicely and will give you some lovely tight curves (which will do wonders for your figure).

P.S. It sounds like you're painting your Sportster tank. That's got a tightish curve at the front top and bottom, and a very tight one by the seat. I used to paint my Sportster tank about every two months. Just couldn't decide what colour I prefered. Then, of course, you've got to do the mudguards (or, to use the vernacular, "fenders").

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Thanks Danny, I suspected there was something more flexible made for the job...off to the paintshop on Monday. You are quite correct...it is a bigger capacity tank for the Sportster...but I only plan to do it once. (that's assuming I don't fall off it AGAIN!).I've already put two dents in the original tank..making it an even smaller capacity..Ian ..

We used to call the stuff 'fine line tape'. It was about 1/4 inch wide and quite plastic so it could bend round most curves easily.

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Thanks Glen..Now I know what I'm after...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1