Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
forum picture

Hi, anybody any idea what the motorcycle on the forum picture second row on the right could be ?
It looks like earlier 30's. Maybe a 500 v-twin ?
Michael

Re: forum picture

Hello Michael,

Think you right, I would also say a WD J12.

There are quite a lot prewar bikes in the picture, wondering what the reason was to line them up, anyone knows ?? selling, recycling ??

Amazing picture, Michiel

Well it's definitely a BSA. I'm sure this is one of the yards full of surplus vehicles after the end of the war, ready to be sold off to places like Pride and Clark. Look at all the lorries at the back. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If you look closely you will see groups of bikes are roped together...each group is a lot in the auction. So you couldn't buy individual bikes...most went to dealers..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

beautiful, in the sixties lots of motorcycles (bsa and M20) were sold at weight in Belgium

email (option): verberck.marc@gmail.com

Hi Marc..If they were sold by weight the M20 would be the best one to sell!! ..you would need 1/2 a dozen Flying Fleas to get the same money...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I really feel homesick for that days,Ian.

email (option): verberck.marc@gmail.com

Hi Guys,

I think this picture was made on a Dutch airfield.
I think it is Delen airport.
And have a look at the bike in the back, these are the "better" just start and drive away bikes. (because these are properly lined up and are standing on there rear stand)And no rope the indentify the lot....

Cheers,

Leon

I'm pretty sure that it's not The Netherlands. The bikes are a motley assortment and many have UK number plates. This will be a UK MoS auction of all sorts of government property. These bikes could include Home Guard, Fire Services etc, plus probably impressed bikes from 1939 that were not suitable but that no-one would own up to.

Hi, what about the bike in front, with the upswept exhaust pipe, is it a m23 ?

Were the impressed bikes returned to they're owners after the war or compensated for? Never did work that out?

There was no confiscation of individual's property in the UK, more a scheme of compulsory purchase at a price set by the government officials.

Generally, the bikes came from manufacturer or dealer stocks but there were also others, for instance from Home Guard volunteers where an agreement was made to retain them.

The dealers were generally quite happy as they knew they weren't going to be selling much for a long time.

Traders with 3-ton trucks on their books sold all the old rubbish to the Ministry of Supply.

Michael
Hi, what about the bike in front, with the upswept exhaust pipe, is it a m23 ?

I would say it is a 250/350 B-model from around 1938. It doesn't have the cradle frame of the M-models. Maybe the competion model because of the small mudguards?

I've seen this picture before - Great Missenden 1946/47 rings a (very) faint bell.

email (option): dbelcher1949@hotmail.co.uk

second row in second bike in the rider got his moneies worth off the front tyre and others aswell

Nieuwe pagina 1