Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From Venice to New Castle

Dear all, monday I will be in New Castle, so my idea is to buy a tap and die set to use on my English Bikes. Which kind of set do you suggest me? Thanks DV

email (option): vadori@libero.it

Re: From Venice to New Castle

Couldn't have put it better Chris. But if someone was going to eek the cost out. They could start with the few most common sizes for our 70 year old bikes.
1/4 5/16 and 3/8 BSC. 1/4 BSW. 1/4 BSP.
As you say, they can all be bought individually on line from someone like Tracy Tools. Then gradually build up your stock as and when you need too.
Mind you Devis might be a Gondoliere, and therefore have loads of money. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: From Venice to New Castle

I find the best source is 'The Tap and Die Company' in London...I suspect he supplies the like of Tracy tools. He is a very helpful chap and will make up 'box sets' with the sizes you require.
Go for High speed steel taps as opposed to carbon steel if you intend to make your own fasteners etc. (especially stainless steel items)..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: From Venice to New Castle - note to Ian Wright

Ian, you mentioned "stainless steel" again. Now you've got to put something in the swear box.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Here's a tenner...£10....Stainless steel, stainless steel, stainless steel, stainless steel, stainless steel...Aaaaah...that's better.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Dear all I am Back. Dear Chris you are right, it is better to by from internet .... just to avoid experience like the one I had in New Castle! I asked to the reception (nice girl) where was possible to find Bolts and Nuts......he said TESCO!!! In Italy Tesco is not popular, so I start to look for a Tesco shop. Immagine my face when i realized that TESCO is not the best place for the tap and die - bolts and nuts. Lesson learned !!
Dear friends, have a nice week end. CIAO Devis V.

email (option): vadori@libero.it

At least you have a funny story you can tell to your friends, Devis. The nice girl in reception must have been a bit too young to understand the difference between peanuts (of which Tesco has plenty) and BSC nuts.

Chris J

I once asked the nice girl at the tool hire shop if they had any reamers so I could cut a bush to size and she suggested a hedge trimmer. [
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

The only types of taps and dies you should look for are high speed steel ones preferably by English makes such as Presto or Dormer (these are very good makes) Cycle thread taps and dies are getting expensive in the UK and there are some poor quality Indian ones out there, so be careful, I can help start your collection by sending you some BSP and possibly some other sizes suitable for you BSA. I tend to buy old taps and dies at boot sales and autojumbles and have many duplicate ones, so if you can PM me, I'll sort out some you can have. I have no spare cycle thread ones as I only got a full set of Presto ones (for £10 what a luck) last weekend!
You will also need some "Trefolex" cutting lubricant as it stops them from jamming on the thread, especially if cutting stainless steel and it helps them to keep their cutting edges longer

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

'I love the smell of Trefolex in the morning'... ..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1