Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1941 M20 identification

Hi all, going to look at a 1941 M20 this weekend hopefully. Is there anything in particular i should be looking out for? Valanced rear mud guard, metal foot rests, cut off on petrol tank etc. Did the 41 model have these things or are they off a later model? Failing that any one looking rid of a decent M20?

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Re: 1941 M20 identification

Hey Mate,

If most of the bike is there, not too knackered, has compression, perhaps runs and stops, and you agree on the price, just get it!

You can always make the necessary mods to it to bring it back to proper form. Swapping out this for that is a great way to get what you need, help someone else, and keep money out of it. You also make a friend(s).

Make sure the numbers are clear, and not stamped out and re-numbered though. Better value in that.

Go for it!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I would follow Robb's advice. Only you know whether you're on the way to becoming a rivet-counter and you might not have realised it yet.

To those of us with a BEF fixation, 1941 is 'late' ! It's difficult to be specific witout knowing engine and frame numbers but a quick glance through some pictures suggests that the change to the later tank and mudguards occurred late in 1940, probably somewhere around WM20 35000.

The Vokes tank cut-out is only applicable to very late production or if you are intent on fitting one.

There is a good chance that engine and frame numbers will no longer match so the most realistic scenario if you restore is to finish as a rebuilt machine post-dating the newest components. Lex and Rob can look the numbers up in the 'Key cards' and may be able to give you more info.

Post the number's here and we can research further and perhaps find some images of machines close to the one you're interested in.

Glenn, how did you get on, any pics? I have a '41 and so interested to know, thanks

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

I haven't got down to see the bike yet, been flat out with work, just have a photo that the guy sent me. He sounds like a genuine fella, and its one of two that I'm going to look at, them make the decision on which I like better, which is better value and more genuine etc. I'll take a few pics when I get there.

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1