Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ralph Heathorn photos, uniform information wanted.

Here two photos of my uncle, Ralph Heathorn who was in the REME, served in uk, egypt, and was in the early days of the D-Days landings.

I would like to know what do all the badges mean so if and when i get in a position to get a tunic i can replicate them. On one of the photos is a marking for the photographer which looks like Dutch.

Regards, Chris Barker

Ralph Heathorn

Ralph Heathorn

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Re: Ralph Heathorn photos, uniform information wanted.

Most impressive Chris. In the first picture, he's wearing the later war battledress with tailored collar and tie, indicating probably a 1945 date after the regulations were relaxed for walking out. 2nd Army shield and REME arm of service stripes (blue / yellow / red).

The brass Royal coat of Arms indicates Warrant Officer, Class 1 (the RSM or REME equivalent).

The uniform in the second picture will be a difficult one to find I'd think, as it is the special senior warrant officer's Service Dress. Worn with the 'Sam Browne' belt, it is cut something like an officer's SD but has the stand-up collar of the pre-war other ranks jacket. I believe that it wasn't used by all units.

He's wearing once again the Royal coat of arms and what looks like a brass version of the mechanic / fitter / gunsmith trade badge.

Thanks for posting those.

thanks rik.
are the shoulder flashes worn on both shoulders, and the arm of service etc ?
trade badge on lower right sleeve only ?

chris

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Shoulder flashes, regimental insignia, formation signs, arm of service strips, etc, worn on both sleeves.....same with NCO rank insignia....trade, proficiency and qualification badges varied on either left or right sleeve depending on type....

Best book to buy for wartime British army insignia and official instructions on when and where worn is "British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WW2" by Brian L. Davis....quotes all the official regulations......

steve you might be able to help i am looking into 6th armoured division which insignia is a white mailed fist on a black back ground in some of the photos i have got some mailed fist if you look at the left shoulder the fist can be facing to the front and some to the rear the same can happen on the right shoulder what way should it face thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1