Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Public...don't you just love them?

Winding my way through the sunny Devon lanes today I couldn't have been happier...when....coming round a corner I hit some gravel thrown down on a temporary road repair, the front end stepped out and down I went.
There wasn't much speed involved but I ripped my trouser leg open, skinned my knee, whacked myself pretty heavily in the chest and twisted and squashed one ankle a bit as somehow one foot got trapped under the bike...
Recovering from the initial impact, and having determined no soft bits were seriously damaged I found I couldn't get my foot out from under the bike and just didn't have the 'purchase' to lift it.
Ah well, it looked like I would be stuck in this predicament until a car happened along this country lane....
Happily, in a short time I saw a Range Rover approaching...salvation!!..or so I thought....
Then this B*****D actually manoevered around me and drove on!
I have to say I couldn't believe my own eyes.
A minute later the local Postie van came along and he (being a member of the human race) stopped and helped me out.
Not a lot I can say really...looking back I still can't believe that anyone wouldn't stop in such a situation. I guess if I ever saw that guy in a similar predicament I'd HAVE to stop.....and apply my boot to his neck for a minute ot two....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: The Public...don't you just love them?

Probably a drug runner or they didn't have a drivers license thinking the cops might get involved! Sorry to hear of your accident Ian.

Nothing too serious Douglas, though I definitely don't bounce as well as I get older!...I'm hobbling about now but I should be fighting fit again in a week....Ian

Yes i don't think i'd bounce so well these days.The last bounce i had was in 1978 and lost a spleen!! Going to the Allbritish rally here in Victoria this weekend. Will send some pictures in soon.

OMG! Ian. It sounds like you are OK, an damage was light. I just cannot believe some people......

I wonder if he/she/it can sleep at night.

You however, sound good and feisty.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Ian. Hope you are recovering well. I dropped my bike a few years ago and, while trying to extricate myself, literally dozens of drivers risked the on coming traffic on the other side of the road to get around me rather than help. They were even sounding their horns to show how annoyed they were that I should be so inconsiderate as to impede their progress! I ended up hopping around on my one functioning leg screaming obscenities at them, which as I had reverted to good old Anglo Saxon and they were German was wasted but it made me feel better.
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Yep sorry about your tumble Ian, at least I know the slightly damaged parts of the Ferguson are bits you were going to replace anyway.
I must say my experience of my fellow man kind in my own more serious incident were more favourable. I crashed on the M3 motorway and ended up in the fast lane. If it wasn't for the following cars in all three lanes coming to a halt with hazards on. I would surely have been finished off. The occupants of the lead vehicles couldn't have been better. I often think, I wish I knew who they were, so I could thank them in later times. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Fergusson speeds too much for you Ian????
Yes it does hurt as you get older, a couple of years ago someone pulled out on me on my Harley and I had to lay it down, he did a runner, so I picked it up and chased after him, I don't think the young lad with the BMW had any insurance as he really got a move on when he saw me pick it up and he went to ground somewhere, needless to say I lost him. I was fine, just a couple of big grazes I went back to work and finished the day. I sat down to have something to eat in the evening .........then I couldn't get up!
I was in agony!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

When the BT van went over me I was laying there wondering what to do. As I looked round there was a Transit with two builders inside who sat there patiently waiting for me to get off my arse and shift the bike. Good,I thought, some help and a witness. As soon as the could get passed, they were gone! Most helpful!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Glad to hear you are OK Ian, did the "Fergie" leave any deep gouges in the road?

I guess this general selfish human attitude isn't a new phenomena or there wouldn't be a story of a good samaritan. So the moral is if you are going to fall off your bike best do it in Samaria.. Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

maybe the rangerover thought you were a hells angel and might have been a trap

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

That is unbelievable..! (with hindsight) You should have thrown your crash helmet at them. A nice dent in the Range Rover would make them think. Glad you're not too badly injured. What about the bike..?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Not a good idea Dave. Especially when injured and trapped. You could be in line for a kicking Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ah yes, maybe right Ron, I'm just sooo hot headed
Perhaps he thought Ian was sunbathing with his bike, in this lovely weather, and didn't want to disturb him

Hi Horror, Nothing too bad on the bike...popped two indicator glasses which just clipped back in...they're scratched but I'll look out for some good used ones on e bay.
Took the end of the gearchange rubber..scratched the clutch inspection cover but it was already scratched and I had previously got a new one to replace it.(glad I didn't fit it!!) Dented the petrol tank (just below where I dented it when I dropped it in the icy weather )...bit of a shame but I already have a larger capacity replacement.
Wrote off a pair of combat trousers, scuffed my jacket and helmet and, unfortunately a very nice pair of late pattern 'Northern Ireland' gloves. Also buggered up a nice pair of Pro boots...dammit. But better leather than more skin!...Ian

Sounds like time to make a claim from the Highways Authority.

yes dont you love them, i was on my way home and i got a puncter on my matchless and the two people i was working with drove right by and didn't stop.Great work mates?!

email (option): michael.rutland@homail.co.uk

Hi ian
Am glad to hear you are ok, its most unfortunate however to hear of the reaction to you in your predicament, society has regretfully changed so much in recent times

My last bounce off involved me & the angriest man from devon back in 2009 on hols in ireland, he was more concerned about his scratched bumper than my badly swollen & bleeding arm

Lets be happy we survived to ride again - take care ian

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

My friend witnessed an accident. Guy pulled out in front of a motorcyclist and the motorcyclist hit him in the side. He flew over the car into the ditch and was unconscious. The guy in the car jumped out ran to the unconscious cyclist and commenced beating him with fists and kicking him in the sides. My friend ran to him and had to pull the car driver off him. The police showed up and arrested him and took him to jail. Apparently he was so angry about his car getting hit he decided to beat the poor guy.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

An angry motorist in rush hour crushed me between two cars when I was filtering through the traffic.

There was an onslaught of other aggressive london rush hour drivers offering to be witnesses to say that I was at fault. young mothers, builder types office people etc.
Apparently I was going too fast! Yea too fast on a 1976 honda c90

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Nothing surprises me any more....

Ian just glad you are ok and the bike not too badly damaged..

To report potholes, manholes that are damaged/broken etc and any other hazards go to www.getagripuk.org , while you are there sign the petition....

Follow progress of this campaign at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-A-Grip-Campaign/204430202903733
The creator and admin of this FB page is someone you know... !! The campaign is a national MAG one.

email (option): jennycook163@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1