Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo ID

Anyone identify this Smiths speedo? C
alibrated in Kilometers it came off my M20.
It works OK. Any idea what the 5.467/47/L and 6T markings mean? It also says "TRIUMPH PATENT APPLIED FOR" so it may be off a Trumpet. (or Nurnberg Triumph??
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Re: Speedo ID

It is off of a Triumph, the small 6T denoting its for a Thunderbird. I believe these are known as "revolators", as the markings in the middle show the revs in each gear according to the speed. Whether you had to change the speedo when you changed the gearing, I don't know.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hi Peter, Speedos with the graduated scale are usully, and I think exclusively, Triumph pre unit twin fitments....Ian

This is a "Smiths Revolater", on that speedo the 4 lines are marked 1,2,3,4, those are the gears, and those are lined up with markings of the approximate RPM at that speed. and then one big orange line at 30 Mph witch is the speed limit in the city limits of Great Britain

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Thanks guys.
I like the name Revolator, sort of thing you'd read in Dan Dare comics.
What's even more pleasing is that there is a knackered one on fleabay for 90 squids and 4 days to run, so I might be able to pay for a few essentials for the M20 with mine.
cheers
Pete

Pete,

Yes, that's the famous Triumph "Regolator" of the early 1950's.

Chronometric speedometers are basically the same. Beautiful analog computers developed by Jaeger of Paris for WWI aircraft, they were reputed to cost nearly as much as the engines of some motorcycles they were installed on.

Here's a very useful link to Carl Cederstrom's elegant working description of the Jaeger mechanism for the MG car club:

http://www.mg-tc.de/articles/JaegerChronometricInstruments.html

Perhaps Henk can post this on our site?

Take a look inside. The brass bezel is threaded and will (usually) be removed with a bit of coaxing. Chrome replacements are readily available. Then remove the 2 slotted screws from the bottom of the can and the mechanism will come free in your hand. Gently dust it with a small paintbrush and oil only with instrument oil as Carl directs.

The face can be re-printed by silkscreen process. Prise off the needle, noting its rest position on the dial. It's a press fit on the shaft. Small black screws attach the face. The drive direction and ratio easily modified by an instrument technician or an ambitious enthusiast.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Moot point for me I'm afraid. I have a civvy M20 with a WD type gearbox, so no speedo drive from front wheel or gearbox. Unless someone has a bright idea I will be converting an old piston into a housing for a bicycle type speedo to keep the TÜV (MOT) jobsworth happy.
Pete

pete you can buy speedo for bicycles that you put a sensor on a spoke whether they would pass an MOT i dont know you could say a speedo is a speedo

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1