Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for Ian/Dave

Folks, Evan is having problems with oil and smoke coming out of the bolts holding the head down.

Wanted to find out if you think replacing the bolts first and then looking for another head, cylinder would solve this problem, which seems similar to what Michael listed before.

Let me know if you require more info that would reduce the number of possibilities for this issue.

Thanks for your comments as always.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Question for Ian/Dave

For the bolts to leak anything at all the head gasket must be leaking in the first instance. The heads do not really warp, but it is still checking if it is true, the same can be said for the cylinder head gasket are on the barrel, then I suggest that you clean the threads out with a tap and have a close look (using a thread guage) at the bolts themselves, if they are stretched at all they may feel as if they are tight when, in fact they are not really torqueing the head down at all, but the resistance may be on the thread itself. The head bolts are prone to stretching and getting "gummy" threads. The main Issue I think is that the aftermarket head bolts tend to be too heavily plated and offer too much resistance, so it is worth checking if the bolts themselves are a nice fit in the barrel, if they are tight, run a die down them. The main reason for the problem in the first place is the head gasket giving way, so you should really try to find the reason.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

also check the bolt lengh as there is short and long bolts if you have got a long bolt in a short bolt hole it could bottom out before tightening fully

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks Dave and Roger, this helps and I will pass it on.

Henri

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1