Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rare Birds....................

Anybody seen these before????
Saw the pictures in an old magazine I found in a second hand book shop...
JimmyPhotobucket
Photobucket

Re: Rare Birds....................

early example of a "wheelie bar".

email (option): petercomley@web.de

The blurb on them says they are ..or were........"Army Experimental Three Wheeled Motorcycles"............................

The Triumph in the first pic did reside in the museum of army transport at Beverley, so possibly now at the national army museum in Chelsea.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Yes it's a 1926 Triumph 3 wheeler built by the Royal Army Service Corps. It's pictured in the "British Forces MotorCycles" book by Orchard and Madden. A must have book for anyone into military bikes.
There's quite a few other manufacturers made similar 3 wheelers, that are also pictured in the book.
I wont write any more cus it's all in the book

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ah, just noticed the 2nd bike is different, that ones a 1928 OEC 3 wheeler, they did a 350cc and a 490cc version, the one pictured is the 350cc. I'm not clever, I'm just reading it

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

And I think the track on the rear carrier in the second picture, gives one the ability to make half a half track Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes Ron..the track fitted over the tyres. I think during trials the whole 'plot' was deemed good on the rough stuff but not very easy to control...with one track I suppose it's a quarter track, or with two of the three wheels covered perhaps a 2/3rds track.. .Interestingly the idea has persisted and there are modern versions..Google 'tracked motorcycle images'..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

I didnt see it when I was at the Chelsea museum last year, saw a nice Dingo though, make an interesting "Chelsea Tractor"

(For those of us in Europe & outside, its the nick name we give 4x4's in London that do the school run and super market run, that don't ever use the 4x4)

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

"Chelsea Tractor". Learned another. I would like to have been brought to school in a dingo.

We have a similar term in the states. "Grocery Getter"

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Hi All, the OEC also survived, don't know which model, but it was offered to me a couple of years back,. it's in private hands somewhere in Scotland.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1