Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rhodesian WM20

Well after a 4 month journey from Zimbabwe my late fathers 39 WM20 has arrived in Ireland. Now the work begins to get her up and running again. My first of many questions is what checks should be completed to get a bike that has not run for 10 years started, what lead additives do you recommend with unleaded fuel, and where can I purchase a new set of tubes and tyre's.

My father restored the bike 25 years ago and has done less than 1000 miles since. It is fully complete and been preserved in the dry climate incredibly well.

E

Brad Lander

email (option): landaer@gmail.com

Re: Rhodesian WM20

Hi Brad,

Great for you that you have your fathers bike! Amazing.

I bought my bike, in a crate back in 1970. Lord knows when the last time it was run before that. However, I was a kid then, and put in gas and oil, off she went.

I would suggest a complete lube job, oil change, a complete tune up, a good physical inspection for anything loose (especially the rear brake torque arm),
get Henks CD and read up.

Starting on the forum is the wisest thing, which you have done.

I am sure other members have more wisdom to share.

Take a video!!!! It would be great to document this.

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Bradley..I would strip and clean out the carb and fit a new set of gaskets to it. If you don't have a tufnol heat insulating washer between the carb and the barrel, obtain and fit one.(1/8" thick minimum, ideally a 1/4" thick) Check the points gap (.012" fully open),plug gap (.018") and grade (Champion L82C or NGK B6HS). Check to see that you have a good, blue spark at the plug on completion.You won't really know how well the mag has survived standing for so long until you run it..if the spark disappears when the mag gets hot it will require looking at.
Check the tappet clearances (.010" inlet..012"exhaust) and run round the cylinder head bolts to make sure they are tight..torque them to about 28-30 ft.lbs.
You won't need to use an additive, just run it on the lead free...they don't generally suffer in that department. Drain and replenish the fuel tank and change all the oils.(sae40 or a good quality 20/50 multigrade for engine, gearbox and primary) You will probably have to remove the crankcase drain plug to empty the cases as it is likely to have 'dropped' the oil from the tank to the crankcase after standing for so long.
Check the clutch adjustment and operation..ie. that it is neither slipping when you kick it over or dragging when you pull in the clutch lever and kick it over. Check all control cables for correct adjustment and overall condition and lubricate as required.
Adjust both brakes, to ensure they are not binding.
Check the rear chain and primary chain adjustment, doing the primary first if adjustment is required.
Check front and rear tyre pressures (approx. 28psi in the front and 30-32 in the rear) Also examine the tyre sidewalls for cracking.
Check the steering head bearings for correct adjustment, along with the setting of the fork side links and dampers. Lubricate the forks.
Check the wheel bearings for excessive play..they are taper rollers front and rear and should have 1/32"-1/16" play at the rim when correctly adjusted.
Check over the whole bike to ensure everything is tightened up correctly.
You may also find the petrol taps leak once you move them. When you get it running you will need to check the dynamo output, correct function of the regulator and lighting circuit, bulbs etc. and you may find the battery is dead and won't hold a charge. Finally, fit a fuse to the bike if you don't have one..Then enjoy the ride and think of your old dad..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Gents.

Your input is invaluable. Most appreciated. Delighted to have discovered the site.

Hi bradley

What part of ireland are you in ?

Maybe some of the m20 boys over there might be able to help you

Lots of m20's back home in ireland

This firum is the best by far, i hope you'll be on the road soon

Jo'b

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi John.

Did not realize there were too many M20 guys in Ireland. I'm down in Wexford, near Enniscorthy.

How about yourself.

Hi bradley
Lots of m20's back home, early & late models

M20's were used until the 60's until replaced by triumph trw's

I'll drop you a line off line with some contacts fir you

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Sounds great Jon