Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
paint m20 RAF blue

Has anyone ever seen an RAF Blue WWII m20? I was just trying to go for a different look, but did not want to seem like an idiot

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: paint m20 RAF blue

According to the research done by Orchard and Madden. All pre war blue RAF vehicles were hurriedly painted camo colours at outbreak of war and all subsequent vehicles were supplied as per the army colours. Reverting back to the peace time blue at the end of hostilities. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Jeff, I considered RAF Blue, I've seen one or two and they do look nice. However as Ron says, they tended to be painted green. Blue was used after the war very much so in the 50's & 60's with various other bits ending up yellow. I imagine there's more green on an old airfield than blue ;) If you hunt about there are a few photos of Blue ones on the web, if you go to the owners bikes section here, I think there is one there.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

I've been doing some research on Bomber Command over the years and the colour of vehicles has often cropped up. Talking to a number of veterans of Lancaster Squadrons it seems that most RAF vehicles were painted RAF Blue at the outbreak of war however, as was pointed out, as time went on most were then re-painted Green. This change in colour seems to have taken place during late 1940/41 during and after the Battle of Britain when invasion seemed likely and a general toning down of vehicles was ordered. This exercise took time and it was still possible to find some vehicles painted blue in late 1941 on some non operational airfields. Hope this helps.

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

I would agree with that Dave. However to be strictly accurate in depicting an RAF bike in Blue, it would have to be one that was already Blue and not yet painted drab. ie pre war.
But artistic licence will allow you to do what you want with your own bike Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1