Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Magneto timing pinion / modern oil seal

Hi all

Has anyone ever managed to repair a split pinion gear.

It has cracked along the taper allowing a slight in ign timing

Just wondering if possible ?

Also has anyone got specs on modern oil seals to replace the original bsa mag oil seal ?

Many thanks

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Magneto timing pinion / modern oil seal

Replacement of the gear is the answer John. The mag gears are case hardened and any form of repair involving heat will affect that. Also the taper angle must be exactly right for it to lock properly.
I usually lap them onto the magneto taper before fitting to ensure a really good fit.
You should get a modern oilseal from C&D Autos but I can supply one if you get stuck...I'll sort out the numbers later today and post it so you can source your own if you prefer to. They are readily available from any bearing factors....Ian

Thanks ian

Just a thought on welding outside and finishing on a lathe

I have a seal here, an ntk 4080 - then other figures detail 20 38 10

Maybe this might narrow it down

Have also used grinding compound to provide a better surface also, should have done this before

Thanks once again

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi John..20-38-10 is the dimensions of the seal 20mm id x38mm od x10mm thick..You can turn the mag gears with a tipped tool (on the part the seal runs on)..I have turned them undersize and fitted a hardened silver steel collar to restore the shoulder that the oil seal runs on when it becomes worn..As far as the taper is concerned if the gear is split all the way through I think you would be chancing it to end up with a perfect taper...however, nothing ventured, nothing gained.....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1