Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rivet counter tease

Here's a teaser...Heavy weight versions of the Matchless teledraulic forks were made during the war..What were they fitted to and what bike was fitted with a set of these unusual forks after the war? ...Ian

Re: Rivet counter tease

Were they fitted to the Sunbeam SWD prototype?
Post war I have no idea.
Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

I'd guess maybe the V-twin 'Sunbeam' SWD outfit and then perhaps the 'Porcupine' post-war ?

Have you got a set then ?

Got it in one Mick...Interestingly the owner of the bike that had a pair fitted post war stated that a number of sets were made and more than one SWD outfit was built...I'll let the second half of the teaser run a little longer..Ian

Good guess Rik...but no, not the Porcupine. I wish I did have a set. The set used postwar may well still exist and if they do they are probably the only set..Ian

The answer...'Torrens' (aka Arthur Bourne) was the editor of the most popular motorcycle weekly of the pre war and early post war period. He must have been well connected in the trade as he managed to purloin a set of the 'heavyweight' teledraulics as used on the prototype Sunbeam/Matchless SWD outfit.
And the bike they were fitted to?...his ultimately famous girder fork pre war Ariel Square Four 'HPG 601'....Ian

I did hear the Sunbeam SWD frame etc ended up as hardcore under Titch Allens drive, could still be there! The engine went into a Morgan.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1