Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
(Royal) Wootton Bassett HM Forces Tribute Ride

As many will already know, this Sunday (3rd April) sees the second mass-motorcycle HM Forces support/tribute ride from Hullavington Airfield (Buckley Barracks, just off Junction 17 M4) through backroads to Wootton Bassett....in support of "Help for Heroes"......

I did it last year (twice !) on the Norton and Ariel...and the expected 10,000 bike turn-out was more like 15,000 + on the day.......it was damn good fun !

I can't go this year, because I have to take my new 11-year old step-daughter Keira horse-riding Sunday morning......hey-ho...but wondering if any WD bikers are intending to make the event ? I seemed to be the only one last year...!!?

Re: (Royal) Wootton Bassett HM Forces Tribute Ride

Hi Steve
Pity you can't make it this year. I have a place and intend to ride the M20. You are right, last year was an incredible event, I had never seen so many bikes in one place. Riding through Wootton Bassett was quite a moving experience. It certainly brought home to me why we were there, and why we need to show support for, and not forget our armed forces.

Hi Jon

Im attending on my G3L with start time of 09.00. I will keep a look out for you but give me a shout if you see me first.

Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

I left the Madden pad in Chez-Bassett at 2pm this afternoon with Vidya, bound for our other residence in Newbury.....

The High Street was already mingling with bikes and riders.....

It's gonna be a big-'un.....let's hope the weather holds out....! :o)

Good luck and well done to those attending...

Hi Pete
Didn't see your post until this evening. I had a 9:00 to 10:00 slot and did catch a brief sight of a couple of WD bikes in the distance. As you know it was pretty busy. Weather was good and the ride went well. I hope yours did too.
Jon

How was the turn out this time Jon?...was it 10.000 again?...Ian

Hi Ian
Yes, I would imagine the turnout would be 10,000 again. Even more if you count pinion riders. Everything seemed to flow better this time, with groups leaving earlier from the airfield. Things slowed up a bit on the approach to Wotton, the M20 was starting to get a bit hot and bothered at one point! (But survived)
Jon

Hi Jon

The ride was really quite something with all the locals turning out to show support after all, it was us showing our support.

The bike rode really well and like you was concerned once or twice when all the bikes got stationary as traffic got heavy.

Glad I attended and would definately attend again.

Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

My 16H suffered similar overheating problems with the clutch last year, although the subsequent ride on the Ariel went faultlessly.......

Good job I live in the town, and could pop home or over to the sis' or the parent's pad for a cool down of bike and rider....:o)

Hope to make next year's ride.....but HM forces repatriations will end September this year when RAF Lyneham stops flying......future repatriations will be via Carterton in Oxfordshire, nearest town to RAF Brize Norton where Lyneham relocates to.....this may, or may not, affect the Wootton Bassett ride....although it is partly to honour the town too, so maybe not...?

Nieuwe pagina 1