Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch Sleeve

Hi everyone.

Below is a photo of my clutch cleeve and nut, unfortunately I made a real pigs ear taking this off, and the nut is totally stripped.

I know the nut is un-salvageable - but what about the sleeve, does it look ok?

I've always thought the thread looked awfully fine for all that pressure caused by the spring.

Thanks,

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Clutch Sleeve

Hi Andy...The thread on the sleeve is hardened so will survive some abuse. Before fitting another nut give it a good clean up on a rotary wire brush. When you get a replacement nut if it is not totally free on the thread you can usually 'work it in' with a little fine grinding paste.
The original tool for compressing the spring is pretty poor..if you use one of these it is quite easy to get the nut cross threaded at the start. If the nut even begins to go tight when you try to do it up immediately back off the nut and try again.
It is worth looking on the 'Tech Section'of the forum to see Hans's solution to this problem...(the clutch can be assembled off the bike).
I made up a non standard tool for my own use which will work with the clutch still fitted to the bike but I haven't produced a drawing of it yet....Ian

Re: Clutch Sleeve

And here is the solution to compressing the spring on the bike. Similar to Ian's purpose made tool, this one was made by my friend John, using an old piston a piece of scrap ally and some 12mm studding. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1