Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 rear brake rod question

Okay. The M20 is running again after a rest in the garage. Silkolene 40W. Engine sounds strong. Have straightened mudguard stays. Just need to re-attached the chainguard and buy the correct brake torque arm bolt.

Here's the problem/question. I've straightened the rear brake rod and refitted. But I'm not sure that I've understood the sequence and purpose of the relevant components (am wondering if something is missing).

Starting from the rear, I've got a "butterfly" adjuster on the brake rod that butts up against a pivot on the brake arm. Then a spring. And then a nut. But is something missing here? I can't remember how it looked, and can't find a close up shot. I'm wondering why there is that spring butting up against the brake arm pivot, and why the pivot isn't simply captured by a nut. As is stands, the nut isn't locked.

Something looks wrong here, so can anyone set me right, please, and put my mind at rest?

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine,com

Re: WM20 rear brake rod question

Danny have you got the sleeve fitted over the pivot?

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Hello Ray, thanks for posting the picture. Yes, I have got the sleeve. That helps put my mind at rest. It's exactly what I've got. I'm just wondering what's the point of the nut and spring on the brake rod. That is to say, I can see that the spring has a "return" action. But what difference does it actually make? Why not just a lock nut on the other end of the pivot?

My guess is to provide 'back-pressure' on the wing-nut so it can be adjusted by hand but kept from coming undone in flight?

Ray, that sounds plausible. But given that the wing nut is profiled to fit the pivot, I wouldn't have expected it to be able to loosen. I wonder if it's simply to facilitate quick adjustment of the brake "on the fly" to suit different riders/riding conditions.

That said, I'll leave it there. BSA no doubt had a reason for it, and manufacturers rarely build unnecessary parts into a motorcycle. Thanks again for posting the image.

Danny, here is another one that confirms it (whatever the original intent).

Thanks, Ray.

I think you will find that the spring is there to assist the brake arm to return correctly.

Re: WM20 rear brake rod question/missing something here

What is the sleeve you guys are talking about?
I'm missing a part must be.
Can someone post a sketch or picture?
Thanks.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Robb, if you look at the picture Ray posted. Where the brake rod goes through the brake arm. You can see an outer bush . If you take the brake rod off you can then just pull this bush away fom the inner pivot. Again it was probably just a BSA way of doing it? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

the wing nut is not profiled from new it usealy down to wear that it got a profile

Nieuwe pagina 1