Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Russell Motors - attention Robb Nortier

I'm probably one of the closest people to Russell Motors - as far as this forum is concerned. It's about 8-10 miles away (as the crow flies). But it's a pain entering central London what with the idiots on mopeds, suicidal cyclists, traffic cameras, black cabs and whatnot. So I avoid it during daytime hours and usually venture in only on weekends and/or evenings.

Also, Russells are just too unreliable. They often don't answer the phone, and can be insufferably rude (unless you get them on a good day - when they can be helpful). Therefore, whenever I go there, it's pot luck.

However, if I am going that way, I'll try and put a post on the forum (in good time). I'm happy to pick up bits when I can and send them on to whoever. Overall, I'd rather use Draganfly and C&D and the other usual suspects. Russells don't deserve to be in business.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

About ten years ago, I was so shocked with the response I got from Brother Geoff at Russells regarding my clutch parts enquiry, that I vowed never to use them again. But since he retired, I get on fine with Les.
Funny thing is though, Geoff is now jumbling the stock and he's far more amenable.......Probably because he's facing me.....and a rude attitude might get one of his NOS fork links where the sun don't shine Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I must be lucky I have been dealing with Russell's since 1978 and never had a problem always helpful and parts recieved within a week.

Re: Russell Motors - thanks all!

Years ago I made several purchases from them. This was back in the late seventies after I bought my bike back in a garage sale for $25.00! I have a NOS speedo, oil lines, this & that still in boxes waiting for a day like today.

Thank you all for your opinions! Chris Bennet is going to order from them in a few days, so he's including my stuff as well. We shall see!

Thanks for offering to visit and collect. I shall take you up on that I am sure.

Would that fork link be inserted sideways?

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I guess at some point, the attitude was sometimes "well we've got what you want and can't get elsewhere, so go by our terms or f@*k you !"....

Geoff's attitude and language was frequently far more colourful than Les's.....and it really was a case of pot-luck depending on phoning/calling in on the right day, at the right time, with the right request....

I will never forget the day I was at the shop counter when a foreign national entered looking for charity....a somewhat poignant error of judgement on his part and one that he will probably remember to his die-ing day (if the encounter itself didn't finish him off soon afterwards).....

The bottom line is, as we should all note, that we are now in the twilight days of Russell's, and we will all miss the business when it goes....the clock is ticking !!

I guess at some point, the attitude was sometimes "well we've got what you want and can't get elsewhere, so go by our terms or f@*k you !"....

Geoff's attitude and language was frequently far more colourful than Les's.....and it really was a case of pot-luck depending on phoning/calling in on the right day, at the right time, with the right request....

I will never forget the day I was at the shop counter when a foreign national entered looking for charity....a somewhat poignant error of judgement on his part and one that he will probably remember to his dying day (if the encounter itself didn't finish him off soon afterwards).....

The bottom line is, as we should all note, that we are now in the twilight days of Russell's, and we will all miss the business when it goes....the clock is ticking !!

Hmmmm....posted twice....wobbly fingers today !!

Unfortunately Les can come across as a rather abrupt chap, try not to let it offend you, it a bit of a trait for Londoners. He is now seventy and still doing seven days a week, running the old bike side of Russells by himself.His son is there but he only does servicing and repairs on modern stuff, he has no interest in the old stuff. Add to this, Les' wife has just broken both her wrists, so he is also caring for her as well. I wouldn't want all that when (if) I get to seventy.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Well spoken, Mick. Helps to get a little perspective.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine

I wonder if Les would take on an apprentice? I'm passionate about that old stuff. Plus, I'd get to live in London. No work here, maybe some there? LOL. Perhaps Gwyneth Paltrow will stroll in....

Now that I know the story, I must say this... In his day, Les treated me just fine being prompt with shipping stuff I ordered from him. AND... There is that treasure trove of goodies he saved from being melted down to make razor blades.

I do wish him and his wife well.

Thanks to all of you for the scoop on him.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I have always found geoff and les very different, geoff, got very irritable with err, time wasters asking for prices and not buying anything, but I could deal with this, as I too run a shop and share the same type of silly enquires of me, I think geoff just got tired of the shop thing,Les is as has been said a Londoner. direct and too the point, but always pleasantly helpful and always goes out of his way to help me, perhaps because I arm myself with part nos, and don't waste his time, a tough call with wife not well, we will miss them, so get in there before its too late, a.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

I've often wondered why Les doesn't get some younger help. It's probably because it would take another fifty years of training. Most of his parts knowledge and location being in his head. Like Ray Fisher at 'Brit Bits', also well into his 70's. Fortunately Ray's son Gerry has had 30 years of training....But Ray still can't retire yet. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Sticky fingers perhaps and telling someone else what to do all the time. They are a resource well worth looking after. Les was always most helpful for my NOS parts and I did improve my bikes thanks to that stock.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

A great institution russels, always spot on & if les is not so busy, a great guy to chat with

Lets hope it continues to operate, life could become very difficult without them

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1