Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G3LS generator chain is loose...

Hello. This is not strictly a WD question but hoping the common wisdom can help me. I have a newly acquired Matchless 1954 G3LS which is in nice older restored condition and after a recent long ride it's become apparent that the small generator chain is a little slack and needing adjustment. Before I dive in and start undoing things to try to get at it can someone please give me some simple advice and/or instructions? I've searched elsewhere on the www but have not spotted anything relating specifically to this probably simple job.
Thanks,
Malcolm

email (option): macstevens@hotmail.com

Re: G3LS generator chain is loose...

I know it's a pain but best to take off the outer primary cover and then slacken the clamp for the generator and rotate to tension. Sometimes when you tighten the clamp it also effects tension, so you will have to experiment. Does yours have the locating strip on the genny to stop it shifting across? Very important to have this.Often people run their chains dry unknowingly and rollers on chains can disintegrate, so it's a good idea to check both chains closely.

Thanks Douglas,
I made the adjustment OK but it does not seem to have the locating strip that you refer to. I'll have to look into that one, I think. Also, point taken about the dry chain business, but thankfully the oil bath is nice and full.
Regards,
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, May I suggest you have a look at the AJS & Matchless Owners Club Website & Forum, you will find everything you need to know there about your Matchless and how to look after it, including information about your chain question. You will find it at www.ajs-matchless.com
Regards, Dave.

email (option): dave.stapleton@me.com

Thanks for that Dave.

Nieuwe pagina 1