Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
So what do all these number mean?

Hi Guys,
I've been digging my '41 G3 out of its grave to see how much I have and check numbers etc. I was surprised to see all these extras stamped on the engine
Photobucket
I have a general idea of what they are, but could the experts (Hi Steve!!) decipher them for me?
Whats the G3R bit all about?
Photobucket
Here's one corner of the grave yard, just made a load of spiders and mice homeless!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Re: So what do all these number mean?

I think it means they weren't sure if they were coming or going! 5 base workshop? Feb 43 .040" oversize?...Ian

The "R" means timing side roller bearing next to the bush. Hard to get hold of these days and later motors dumped them for a full length bush.

Hi Mick....as mentioned, the "5BW" relates to "No.5 Base Workshops" located in the Middle East....the dates are self-explanatory.......

The other "E" marked stamping refers to "Eastern" workshops (also in the Middle East), a sort of overseas "Auxiliary" workshop comparable to the "B" workshops in the UK and latterly Europe....Many of the latter "E" markings are of post-war (Suez era) origin....

The "7/8" marking refers to the crankpin size....7/8ths on the G3L as opposed to the earlier 3/4 size fitted to the G3...........no doubt a useful external reference guide for workshops prior to stripping the engine down.....

Douglas...the "R" bit MIGHT refer to the external roller bearing, but common opinion and study of surviving engines suggests that this actually refers to "Revised"....basically indicating a G3 engine fitted with the revised big-end assembly of 7/8ths crankpin, flywheels and conrod rather than the earlier 3/4 size arrangement....the last contract of the G3 (often termed a "41 G3") had, according to the parts list, a "revised" (7/8ths)G3L type big end assembly fitted, and it is likely that engines so affected were marked accordingly to assist workshops with stripping down and spares supply.......

Finally, the large "A" probably refers to Amal pattern controls and cables being fitted....

Don't you just love numbers...??!! :o)

What those numbers actually mean, read as a whole, is that the bike was nothing but trouble from day one and was in an out of MEF workshops with the frequency of a love-sick trooper in a Cairo knocking-shop !

If that bike could talk, it could probably sing 'Abdul the Bulbul Emir' and 'King Faroukh' without even having to think about it.

Thanks guys, looks like this beastie had a bit of a problem reliability wise. Most of the bits with this still have traces of sand paint, so I think it will be re done in that colour.
Cheers, mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

In all fairness, I believe that the service life of vehicles used in the desert was very few hours indeed. If it saw extensive use (and maybe without the optional Vokes) then a workshop rebuild would have come round very quickly.

Nieuwe pagina 1