Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas Altette Horn Adjustment

So I thought I had done a great job at restoring my horn, but I've tried to test it and I'm only getting a single 'pop'. How are these things adjusted?

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Lucas Altette Horn Adjustment

Hi Andy.
Basically the horn works like this:
An electro-magnet pulls the disk, and at the same time the pulled disk center pushes and cuts-off contacts, and doing so breaks the electrical circuit and the current to the electro-magnet. the electro magnet then releases the disk, which enable the contacts to close again, and the process repeats very fast, causing the cater disk to vibrate and create the sound of the horn.

To adjust the horn, first you have to make sure that when the disk pulled inside (and you get a single sound)-
the inner end of the screw which pulled in with the disc (On the disks center, usually) breaks the circuit. (like relay contacts) when you get to this point, you would need to play a little bit with the adjustment to get the best sound and strength.

There is also a screw behind, if I rememer correctly, which I do not remember right now what it does, but go with this pribciple of action and you will get it tune in no-time.

In order to get the clean and correct sound and distances between parts, you need to have also all the gaskets between the disks.

Sound very complicated, but it’s all one screw and 2 contacts…

Good luck!

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Many thanks for the advice! I've also discovered that the battery I was using for the test was almost flat, I tried it on another one and it now seems to be working normally. So the first battery can't have been giving enough power to break the contact.

Thanks again, Andy.

Glad it works

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

andy my horn only gives a squeak even from a fully charged battery but works perfectly when the engine is running and charging i opened mine it looked like it had been under the sea for years

Mine looked pretty bad internally too, it's weird how they just left bare metal on the inside. But then again they probably didn't expect it to last 70 years!!

Nieuwe pagina 1