Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alton alternator

Hi all and Ian Wright who was interested..

It took me much more time than I expected, but I finally installed the Alton alternator.

So far I can report as follows:
12 Volt is great! All appliances only draw ½ the current if compare to same @ 6V, as P(Watt)=I(Amp)xV(Volt)
So double the voltage means half the current, so a 12V/9Ah batt is equivalent to 6V/18Ah.
(Also Alton reports 90W output on a moderate RPM, with "Absolute maximun of 150 Watt" when the "short" lucas gives 40W, and the "Long" one- 60W.)

No charging when idle, but starts to pick up on lowish RPM, so no more the constant fear to “charge when possible” and save the light for the night..
Really easy to install and replace.

On the other hand-
After working very hard to overhaul the engine, replacing every bearing, valve, roller and guide and making it run as smooth as silk,
The Alton seems to add some strange kind of mess noise to the lovely engine humming.

I will try to add a piece of an inner tube between the alternator and Magneto.
If the noise continues,
I think I will go back to the good old Lucas E3L…

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Re: Alton alternator

Hi Noam...I have heard the problem with these is wear in the drive train due to the increase load required to drive the unit. 1HP is 746 watts so at maximum output of 150W it would theoretically require approx. a 1/5th of a HP to drive it. However, an alternator is only around 50% efficient so it will actually require twice that to get 150W output...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus,com

Re: Alton alternator: for the rest of us

For those of us who often use our bikes for long trips which include night riding in unlight or dimly-lit highways, the subject of additional lighting is pretty important. Anyone using this or any other (relatively) high-output system, please report news and usage results to the rest of us so we may make an informed decision. Reliability issues would be of paramount importance. I certainly would not like to have great lighting on part of the trip only to have no lights at all for the rest because, say, the drive wore out prematurely. Thanks.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Hi Naom..Shaun doesn't do the 12 volt dynamo...rather his electronic regulator in one of its forms takes advantage of the fact the standard dynamo can produce well over 12 volts. Of course nothing is for nothing and the price is a higher 'cut in' speed...so the dynamo needs to be running faster to balance the load. That's not too problematical with the magdyno as it runs the dynamo faster anyway than say a Triumph twin.
Not ideal if you like driving everywhere at 30mph though. I ran this set up on my civvy 47 M21 for 7 years without any problems. Don't forget as well as changing the bulbs and battery you will also have to change the horn andthe headlamp reflector or bulb holder to take a later pattern bulb.
Also you haven't got alternator type power so you can't run that old searchlight on the front..I ran a 35 watt halogen up front which was a great improvement.
The 12 volt converted dynamo is also a compromise...to achieve the output more armature windings are required..but in the same space. Consequently a thinner gauge wire is used and armature reliability can be suspect as a result.
The best current (pun) solution is an alternator M21 crank and primary casings with a crank mounted alternator..then you can have the same lighting as a Norton Commando. Twin problems are the limited availability of the parts required and a deviation from the standard appearance....Ian

Hi all,
The best compromise I have found is a resilvered reflector and one of Paul Goffs halogen bulbs. This set up works fine with an MCR1 regulator. On the other hand, I run my M20 with a 60w E3L dyno and a 35/35W halogen from a VW beetle, still with an MCR1, which has worked very well for the last 20 years.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hi Mick

Who re-silvered your reflector & any idea on cost ?

Many thanks

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks Ian.

I did replace all of the electrical system, and replaced with thick 3mm2 the wires which run from the regulator to the ammeter and back to the batt to reduce voltage fall, and all the lamps replaced to 12V in order to work with the Alton, so I may really put the old Lucas back and change the regulator, or even return to the old 6V.
basically it worked great before the mag clutch started to slip...

Thanks!
Noam.

Hi John...I can get your reflector resilvered locally for reasonable money. It's well worth it and improves the glow no end. ...Ian ..Noam..forgot to mention...the 60watt dynamo is recommended for 12volt operation...

Hi Ian.
Great !

So if this mess sound continues I will put in my Lucas E3L. it has a new brush-plate, brushes and bearings. all I have an "MTML" British electronic regulator (which is great and recommended) encapsulated inside an old Lucas regulator box,
so all I need to do is to disconnect one white wire and I am goo to go with 12V and original Lucas!

Cheers!
Noam.

H John,
Wyatt Polishing in Thetford 01842 766770 resilvers, they charge about £25. Ian can probably get it done cheaper!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

I had mine done for E 5 at a chrome plater

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

It's the same price Mick...It was £25 when I got Riks done for his Norton if my memory is correct....Ian

I can't remember Ian. I can say that not only does it look very authentic but it makes for a very intense light.

....cost me a week confined to barracks for breaking blackout regulations...

rik you got off lightly lightly get it sorry

I should've known that some 'bright spark' would come out with that old one !

Re: Alton alternator

Hello folks of the M20 madness,
I've ran those Altons in an M33, a B33 and an A10 and they provide LOTS of power to charge up a big battery and provide a ton of light for early morning commutes to work. As far as extra load, I don't know about that. I've just put one on a Matchless twin and it does make a bit of extra noise but none of the others did.

email (option): SunbeamLongstroke@Yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1