Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Problem with rear wheel

Hi all.

I'm taking apart my wheels at the moment (whilst being very careful about risk of asbestos!) front one came apart easy - but the rear is problematic.

It appears the brake drum cover has seized onto the spindle and it just will not budge. It feels like the spindle is moving around in the hub somehow, but it will not come completely apart. I'm stuck!

Any ideas? Or is the cover supposed to be attached to the spindle - unlike the front?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Problem with rear wheel

Hi Andy

Are you talking about an M20 QD rear wheel?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob, it's a WM20 rear wheel, what does QD mean?

Hi Andy, QD = Quickly Detachable, the idea being if you get a puncture you undo the 3 shouldered bolts and take out the long through spindle you can then remove the wheel leaving the brake drum, sprocket and chain (still correctly tensioned) attached to the bike.

Once the wheel is seperate from the brake drum you can see the rear hub spigot which goes through the drum, this is the bit which is probable unwilling to let go of the brake plate.

Photobucket

Hi Rob, I confirm it is the QD type. Thanks for the diagram too. It is that spindle that's stuck. I've tried heating it and everything. I'd be interested to hear any ideas on how I might remove this.

It can be a bit tight but usually a tap on the spigot with a hide or nylon mallet will release it.

I don't suppose the brake shoes can catch on anything?

Success! In the end I had to slide the main axle back through the centre of the hub, put an oversized socket over the end of it and gave it a good bash!!

Thanks for the help.

Andy

Nieuwe pagina 1