Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
types of girder

Hi there
I have seen a bunch of girders on the epay lately, all looking slightly different.
I wondeded how many types of bsa girder there are and the cross compatibility of them.
I hear of the heavyweight and lightweight, Is m20 type lightweight?
Also would it be the case that most bsa girders would fit most bsa models? ie same neck fitting.

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Re: types of girder

Maxwell, I think BSA M20 forks are heavyweight. You might fit other forks in the headstock, but you wouldn't want anything less than heavyweight - especially when you consider that all of them are around 60 years old. Therefore, they won't be as strong as they once were.

If you find another set of heavyweight forks, they might not be the same length - which might do odd things to your steering. The length of the fork springs might cause you problems too.

If you're stuck for a set, you could probably rig something up. But don't use lightweight forks.

Just a thought.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Cheers. I have a set of blades, and top and bottom yoke bought from a user here i think. The blades look slightly distorted tho. I was unsure weather the majority of girders were the same that i see come up for sale. its a toss up betwix sourcing another set an floggin these or pumping time and loot into these.
I have seen the link measurements on the main site, Is there any of the other measurements anywhere? I.e the with at axle, distance between holes etc?

Maxwell, I'm sure the other dimensions (width, length of fork links, handlebar fixings) will make a difference. But I'm way out of my depth here. My general experience is that when you veer off the main road, you're likely to find yourself in a lot of awkward back streets. Does that help?

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Hi Maxwell, the BSA range tended to be several weights of motorcycle, for example in 1939 you had four, the C,B,M and G range's. However these 4 ranges of bike actually used 7 different sets of fork blades (acording to the part numbers). Some of these are different to the forks fitted to the same models in the 1938 and 1946 ranges. So I would guess there are 100s of slightly different BSA girder fork blades.

However I think the 120,000+ military M20s from 1940 to 1945 used only 2 types, one of which is a 1/2 inch longer but otherwise the same, which is why the ones that usually turn up are military.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers, Yea 120,000 m20's, Its suprising that the girders for these are not more readily available given the amount made. They come up for sale but real pricy.
Cheers thanks

All the girder forks are getting scarce and expensive. As Rob says there are multiple versions with different steering stem lengths, weights,wheel fittings etc. etc.
Jake Robbins will straighten mildly bent main legs for reasonable money.
Russell Motors still have some M20 fork parts and you will see various parts on e bay and at jumbles.
The best thing to do is make a definitive list of what is missing and try those sort of sources and the forum...you should get it all ay some point....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus,com

Nieuwe pagina 1