Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedometer drive.

Hello!

I´m restoringa a early WM20(#5914)and looking for a functional speedo drive. I´ve been looking at the firms who sell BSA spares but don´t find any. Got 4 drives whith the little snailwhell worn out and the other drives I´we found will rotate the wrong way (A.Cw). Is there any on who have a tipp I whold be glad.

/Håkan in Sweden

email (option): h.snackerstrom@gmail.com

Re: Speedometer drive.

I had the same problem a while back, took an old drive and swaped the end caps. It took a bit of work but it functions fine. It will not be "correct"....

Hakan,

are you looking for the front wheel type of drive? If so i have a spare one which had mistakenly been fitted to my 16H before i bought it.
I can email details if you are interested.

IainB,

I have also been looking for an M20 speedo drive. If Hakan isn't interested I would be. My e-mail is included.

Thanks

Joe R.

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

Hi Craig,

Can you describe what you had to do to swap the end caps on the speedo drive??

Joe Rosson
IainB,
I have also been looking for an M20 speedo drive. If Hakan isn't interested I would be. My e-mail is included.
Thanks
Joe R.

Hi Joe,
will be in touch once i have heard from Hakan.
Cheers
Iain

Hello!

I´m interested in that drive. Please contakt me on my mail: h.snackerstrom@gmail.com

/Håkan

You had better make sure you are all talking about the same thing...speedo drive through the brakeplate? or driven off the hub on the nearside?....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus,com

Words of wisdom Ian, thanks.

I´m looking for a speedodrive placed on the left side off the wheel, not the earlier type in the brakeshild.

/Håkan

IainB
Hakan,

are you looking for the front wheel type of drive? If so i have a spare one which had mistakenly been fitted to my 16H before i bought it.
I can email details if you are interested.

I am interested!! Please mail me on h.snackerstrom@gmail.com

Iain,

If the drive was for the 16H I suppose it is the type that fits in the brake anchor plate. If so I am interested in that type of speedo drive.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Joe,
It's been a couple of years so things are a bit fuzzy.
The drive is the newer style which are inexpensive and available. The end caps, I believe, were a press fit and so reversing was simple. I may have had to shim the worm to center, just don't remember. It seems the bigger problem was the need to resize the dust shield to the larger hub dia. All that being said, my front wheel appears non-standard, possibly pre war, but it is left side, and it works fine.
Craig

This is the early BSA drive.

Photobucket

Sadly I don't have it any more.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hopefully i haven't put anyone astray. Have finally found my camera, this is what i have which doesn't look the same as Robs pics.
Externally the same as my correct 16H drive but turns the opposite way and has a different number stamped on the base - shown in photo.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Iain, I think yours is a Triumph type drive...the BSA one has an eccentric mounting to adjust the gear mesh.
I posted a little while back on the stripping, checking and re assembly of the later type of M20 drive...if anyone needs that info a search should turn it up...Ian

Thanks Ian, sorry to get peoples hopes up, i had assumed all right brake plate speedo drives were the same.
A bit flash these BSA's, adjustable meshing on the speedo drive and easily replaced bushes on Girders.

It's quite possible the threaded version could still be used on the BSA, you certainly wouldn't see the threads but I'm not sure about the dimensions?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Thread diameter on the Triumph type is smaller than the BSA ones. I guess you could make up an adapter ring...though you would lose the mesh adjustment...and you would upset the Triumph boys !!
Overall length of the body casting and spindle length and diameter would also have to be considered...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1