WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton's Dollshead Gearbox Gears & Bushes

I need to replace the following parts..

GEARS
1. Mainshaft: 4th (N8034-24 Teeth)
2. Layshaft: 1st (N8045-29 Teeth), 2nd (N8041-24 Teeth), 4th (N8035-18 Teeth)

BUSHES
1. Mainshaft: 2nd, 4th
2. Layshaft: 3rd, 1st

Any ideas?

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Norton's Dollshead Gearbox Gears & Bushes

Some pictures...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh dear Kostas, they have been abused, haven't they ? The sleeve gear and layshaft 'fourth' have been milling each other and don't look re-useable. Did the layshaft bearing fail ? I think that you're going to have to replace those two.

The chipped dogs can be built up with stellite welding and ground back to shape. I'm not sure quite how bad yours are but my first step would be to take a fine hand oilstone and 'dress' the damaged area so that it can't flake further. You might 'get away' with that. The dogs will be fine when under load. The damaged part will only be operating when changing gear.

Dependent on your expected use (probably not too many kilometers and not racing), you could find they go on for years. I've seen worse come out of hard ridden Commandos (and seen people put them back in too !)

I don't think that even layshaft first will be too much of a problem in normal use, as long as you don't have too much end-float.

The problem with finding a sleeve gear is that the hardened roller retainer is often cracked or damaged on second-hand examples.

Rik I bet that your box is full of NOS parts including gears, I wouldn't expect less from you, or am I wrong?
I will be visiting a friend who might have second hand gears for sale...

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Actually you're wrong this time Kostas. The box that I bought was pretty good and I simply replaced the bearings....and 200 miles later, the return spring. It looked new but snapped !

Kostas you could do worse than buy a couple of box's from that scrap yard near you. They might have been lying around for years. But they are probably all low milage. Strip the spares out that you need and flog the rest. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, you're right, but the man is asking 400€ for a box and I'm not willing to make him rich!!

I was hoping to find some spare gears from somebody in the forum..

Kostas, it doesn't look too bad to me, but whatever you do, replace the 2 bushings in the gearbox casing, the ones for the quadrant and the lever.

If they have play on them, then the it will jump out of 1st and 4th gear, took me a long time to find out what caused that!
I Holland an Belgium it's possible to find NOS. Gears, but expect to pay around 50 euro's a piece! then 400 for a complete box is not so bad anymore, if the gears are OK it that one!

May have some gears, but not shure, B4 is all different and twice as expensive,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1