Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wrights canvas saddle cover

This is a new one to me. Can someone provide some info? I've seen pictures, and think they are a bit nicer than the rexine repros. Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Re: Wrights canvas saddle cover

We have discussed these in the past. I think they were officially made as gun layer's seats for tanks and armoured cars. It's very probable that some found their way onto motorcycles. Especially in hot climates....I did this with a certain amount of artistic licence. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nice fleet you have there! Like I said, this is a new one to me, so I wouldn't have any idea that you had discussed this before. I do look things up on past forums.

I wasn't suggesting that you should have known we had discussed it. Only that the same query had arisen in the past. Which is the only reason I know about the gun layers thing. I've a feeling that someone might have actually come up with a picture showing one fitted to a bike? From memory I think Rob Miller had a picture of the Wrights saddle in an AFV. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think this was the thread which came to the conclusion that the NOS items were ex-Jordan Archer SP seats.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1029640&cmd=show

It's worth re-stirring the hornets nest on this one by mentioning that a certain WM20 parts list does actually list 3 different saddles for that contract....Lycette, Terry and Wrights.....

From memory, much of the Wrights saddle was made up of Terry components (same part numbers)....but as for the cover...well, it could have been canvas, but I suspect more likely in rexine with a Wrights badge...

The canvas saddle tops are 99% likely to be ex-(late) WW2 AFV items, eg - self-propelled guns such as the Archer, Sexton, etc.....they DO indeed fit motorcycles, and it is therefore possible that SOME did find their way onto bikes during workshop rebuilds at major ordnance depots who may well have had AFV parts in stock in addition to motorcycle.....but the absence (to my knowledge) of any wartime photos showing them fitted (or factory fitted) to WD bikes during WW2 is a pretty done deal for me....

Isn't this fun? Thanks Steve. I do like the looks of that canvas seat as finding good stuff over here is a bit difficult, and there is little or nothing to make comparisons to. The nearest M20 to me is well over 100 miles away, and I have only met the guy once, and he wasn't all that nice. He didn't even like the bike!

Steve, have you a copy of that parts list?

What was the canvas like? What color? I have an unissued Pattern 37 backpack & web gear, so does it look anything like that? Any photos around to share? Would it be like the fabric of a DR mac?

Could it be possible some were fitted in REME?, or locally as the issue ones wore out? When I was in service, we did all sorts of emergency fixes that became accepted as the "correct" way to do it as parts were sometimes not available.

Hi Robb

There are some pictures on the previous thread that Rik mentioned. But the material is more like pannier bad canvas than 37 patt webbing.

The other important point is that although we are pretty sure this batch of seat covers came from Archer SPGs they could have been made for the Jordanian Army postwar, whereas wartime Archers in Allied service may have used black rexine covers from the same sources as the ones supplied to motorcycle manufacturers.
Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Chris Coxon made me a fine canvas saddle cover, to replace the rather delicate original Terry. Very comfortable, especially in hot weather.
And also important: I modified the saddle frame, moving the spring holes upwards, thus reducing the punishing of the coccyx.....

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Interesting reading about the fitting of canvas saddles to M20s, just read an old copy of The Classic Motorcycle Febuary 1993 there is a test on a supposedly unrestored M20 that is fitted with a canvas saddle, in the photo the number on the tank is C4311125

Thank you every one! This is really good information. I appreciate your help immensely in the resurection of my bike.

Where can I buy this "rexine", and canvas? I am learning upholstery, doing my 1958 MGA, and a 1928 Buick.

My neighbor is a retired boat upholsterer, and is giving me his machine!! I work with him for experience of course. Can't fire volunteers ya know, but the knowledge is well worth it.

I am collecting magazines with articles about the M20, and do have the Feb, 1993 Classic Motorcycle. Thanks for the info Ian. It's a pretty decent read.

rexine unfortunately is no longer with us, it was an oil based reproduction leather.
the nearest repro is leather cloth, and a company called roachfords in birmingham do a product which mimmics the original pattern. it doesnt bend and stretch as well as new leathercloth however.

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Ian, that Classic bike article purporting to show an "unrestored" M20 was anything but....! A nice looking bike but certainly not original condition from WW2...

I have a NOS Wrights canvas saddle cover over at the farm in the box of issue.....it is made from a rather coarse medium-green-coloured canvas that you might find on vehicle or tenting canvas....it is very stiff and hard-wearing...it is lined with felt/horsehair, with black-finished steel rivets & clips and an alloy Wrights badge on the rear...

I fully concur with all the other postings...and I should imagine that in use, these covers would have faded to a light khaki colour over time....

You can still find rexine to make saddle covers out of....try to find some old sports car soft tops (hoods)....just about correct in my estimation...?

Nieuwe pagina 1