Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal enfield WD/L info and Photos

Hello mi ñame is max and I have a royal enfield wd/l
and y need Photos and info. Thanks

email (option): maximilianochopitea@gmail.com

Re: Royal enfield WD/L info and Photos

Very rare Max! Only 350 were supplied to the War Office. This is all I have. There is also a short write up in 'British Forces Motorcycles'. No doubt Jan will have more information. Any chance you could give us the frame/engine numbers? Where are you located? Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron the engine number is
L 10462
and the frame is w20183/4

Max according to 'British Forces Motorcycles' The WD/L frame numbers for the 1940 contracts start at 28903 and the engines start at 11206. I think you have an earlier civilian bike. It might pay you to contact the Royal Enfield Owners Club. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nice looking bike that !

:-)

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Sorry the fram is 27086

The WD/L, along with the WD/G and WD/J2 are pretty rare machines today.....they were supplied between 1940 and 1941 at a time of great demand for machines and were probably built by Enfield from stocks of parts held at the works...

Many such bikes had been introduced into the Enfield civilian ranges for 1939 and 1940 (along with most other manufacturers) and limited civvy numbers were made before the war put a reduction, and end (in late-1940), to all civvy and export production. At the time of military demand, any stocks of potentially useful parts and bikes could not be wasted....

As "non-standard", most of these lesser-known models saw UK home-front usage only, serving with all three services and some civilian government-approved organisations....limited, reducing stocks of such models continued in use in dwindling numbers until (probably) the late-war period prior to scrapping or disposal in surplus sales....

The WD/L was a 570cc sidevalve...and although it looks similar to the 350cc sidevalve Model WD/C very few parts were interchangeable....I'm pretty certain that the bulk of the cycle parts were shared with larger models in the Enfield range, rather than the smaller sidevalve 350's.....Jan can no doubt expand on this with greater accuracy and detail....

The Royal enfield Owners Club (REOC) have a very good photo library of most Enfield production...worth contacting just for this. I think that parts lists and other documents still exist for the Model L or WD/L...?

Nieuwe pagina 1