Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas Horn

In the Horn Section there is this note : The 1940 Military BSA parts list states a Lucas Electric Horn type 701717 for the M20, no further information about this model horn yet."

As luck would have it, I purchases an incomplete horn at a swapmeet today and it has the numbers HF1346 , 701717 and date code of 11 41 stamped on the insulator under the connectors.
It is still showing a partial coverage of green paint (over red undercoat) but is missing the clamp that I assume this should have similar to the HF1141.
I have not found any reference to a HF1346 - or is this misleading? Can anyone shed any light on this please?

I will try and get a better shot of the insulator to show the numbers but I am not very skilled at using this camera in close-ups.

PS. It was great to catch up with Brian from South Australia - it is a small world.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Re: Lucas Horn

Hi Ray. Can I suggest you google up TAFF THE HORN. Have a look at his website and maybe ask his opinion. coincidence that your date code matches the HF 1141 number. Looking at his site there seems to be a few similar horns with all sorts of different numbers. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

What Taff will tell you is that it is a wartime economy version of the HF1140/1141 with really rubbish points inside.

I have a june 1941 dated example around here some where.

Horns are a subject all of their own.....early wartime saw WD horns by Clear Hooters, Lucas, Miller, Klaxon, etc....but mid-war onwards saw a lot of economy...

As Ron mentions, Taff the horn's web-site (from memory) contains a big history of the horn with loads of detail. Best to use the website, as you will need to set aside a couple of spare days if you phone him....!!!

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the clarification. My bike has a "Clear Hooter" on it. Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Thanks gents - the wartime 'economy version' doesn't fill me with hope but this one is in pretty good shape externally.
Given I don't have any correct period horns this is a gem - I'll see if I can contact Taff as he might be able to supply the missing clamp.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that the "wartime economy" version was basically a standardisation of one type of horn (the Lucas HF 1234 ?) to be manufactured by various companies to one specification.....in that sense it was a Lucas model to all intents and purposes but lacking any manufacturers name or branding....

I guess that the true period for such a horn would be late-war (eg: late-1944 onwards) alongside standardisation of other parts, such as control levers, handlebars, saddles, etc......but I might be wrong...

Despite being an "economy" or "standardised" component, I doubt if actual quality in manufacture reduced, even if certain raw materials were economised upon (eg - steel instead of brass)....

In my experience, most period horns are an expensive, oversized, heavy means of producing a rather pathetic sound....!! Best to fit one for looks complete with dummy-wiring, but mount a modern Japanese item underneath the tank (on the frame top-tube within the fuel tank tunnel) for a much more impressive (and safer) warning tone.....

I only have a passing knowledge of the Lucas horns...however, Taff advised me that the unmarked 'standardised' horn was correct for my late 42 M20...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus,com

I think that is the un-marked Alltette Ian?
Ray it looks like you have broken some copyright law as your pictures have been removed. You're living in the correct country...you villan you Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1