Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20's in Tunisia?

Wife and I are off to Tunisia for a weeks hols next Weds... (Hopefully flights still on and troubles are over!)

What are the chances of finding any bikes and/or parts there? Has anyone got any possible suggestions? Not sure if Henk has cleaned this area yet or not.

I note also that antiquities are not allowed to leave the country, could that mean bike parts?

Re: M20's in Tunisia?

lj i think its quite quiet there at the moment i went there some 8 years ago didnt see many old british bikes and if it wasnt for the trouble in libya that the place to look for old military vehicles

Folks were buying NOS parts from Libya already ten years back.

Tunisia was more French based.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

My Grandfather was in the Royal Irsh Fusiliers and took part in the Torch landings in Tunisia. They used Irish soldiers because the English were very unpopular with the French having sunk their fleet. ( Incidentally he wasn't Irish and I don't think he ever went to Ireland) His ship had to stay in Gibraltar for 7 days for repairs after it hit another ship. The forward hold was flooded and it contained all their motorcycles. I am sure they just left them at the docks when they arrived in Tunisia so please have a look out for them for me. Cheers, John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

I lived and worked there 50 years ago, but I never saw any Brit bikes then. But quite some jeeps and D4 cabledozers....

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

I have been in Tunisia twice before,and am going again in early May,I will lookout for M20's but I never came across any in my past visits,however one thing I recomend to take is P-L-E-N-T-Y of toilet paper,and Immodium tablets,coz you WILL need them.
I found that Malta is a much better place to look for M20 stuff,a few of them still getting used over there,trouble is anything related to old bikes/cars,the Maltesers know the value of them and consequently want to much ££££ for them.

email (option): glesgaman@tiscali.co.uk

Thank you for the replies/comments! I'll give a report when I come back. Cheers!

Laurence, You have no chance mate, although you may be able to swap a couple of camels in exchange for Alison.
We were there a few year ago but it was cold as we were near the Atlas mountains, the trouble that i found was that there were too many foriegners.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

i was stationed in cyprus when we were kicked out of libya lots odd equipment came through cyprus on LCT things were sorted into 3 catogories 1 to go back to england 2 stay in the ordinance depot in cyprus of which some went to biafra charities 3 was dumped at sea which i know were tanks old lorries like bedford QLs probably in good order alsorts of equipment and motorcycle i saw an LCT half full of motorcycle for dumping though i think a few got conficated by squaddies for private use

Nieuwe pagina 1