Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox repair

I have dissasembled my gear box. I put some of the rusted internals into vinegar to de rust.
I put the large case in the oven in hte hope that the bearing would fall out. It didnt, I couldnt clout it because I live on the top floor of a quiet house. I assume they need a clout.
The bearings have surface rust and only turn a fraction. I am hoping to salvage them. Is it possible to salvage rusty bearings with the vinegar method? then a good cleanup. also is the clutch arm pivot bar an interferance fit?

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Re: gearbox repair

Hi Maxwell,

On close tolerance pieces like bearings, bite the bullet and buy new. Remember these things will be spinning at a pretty good clip, and if they sieze, a lot of expensive damage will occur. GUARANTEED!

Also, make a good drift to whack out the old bearings. This way, you won't damage the cases.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Wow, that slide show dosen't really do your head in!!!
Or is it that he's just a very quick worker? .....lighteningly quick hands!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

cheers yea I thought You'd like that ha ha.
I may do as You suggest and replace those bearings.

Hi Maxwell..The pin holding the clutch op arm into the case is a parallel pin which just relies on the fit in the case to stay in place. Heat the case up to about the temperature of boiling water and then tap it out with a hammer and punch. If it is tight try knocking it in the opposite direction.(one end may be burred for instance) Make sure the arm is moving freely on the pin before attempting removal and go easy with the hammer..the two 'upstands' on the gearbox case can crack if excessive force is applied....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Thanks I'll do that

Nieuwe pagina 1