Author
Comment
helmets

are the ww2 dispatch riders helmet the same as the ww2 paratroopers helmet

Re: helmets

Hi Roger,
Have a look here,
http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/unitedkingdom.htm
They do look similar, and made by Briggs.
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

A bit of a dodgy site Dave, he refers to the MkII as 'ugly' ! A helmet with lines reflecting the yeomen pikemen of the 1400s. How can he call that ugly compared with a coal scuttle or the Yank's upturned piss-pot ?

Roger I think you'll find the DR and Para helmets are the same tin pressing. But the chin straps and other features are different. For instance the early Para helmets had a leather chin strap with a different rivet configuration from the DR's, and a protective rubber buffer around the rim of helmet. The late war Para helmets had a webbing chin strap.
An early war Para helmet could cost you up to a grand whereas a later one could be about £500. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Rik,
Sorry I didn't read it all. What was up with the Yanks anyway didn't they like are old Tommy/Brodie Helmet that they wore in WW1. Why wasn't the DR helmet mentioned on that website?
Dave

Perhaps helmet cognoscenti don't regard a motorcycle helmet as a 'proper' helmet ? Certainly the fact that the British shrapnel helmet was so poor for motorcycle use led to them being one of the very few who actually tested a helmet for motorcycle use.

The ease of conversion between the DR and the airborne lids is no doubt one of the things that has reduced the availability of the DR lid. There are more chaps now who wear para wings than there were in 1944.

The difference that I can see between the para helmet and the dispatch riders helmet is the para didn't have the leather neck guard. If it's marked BMB I would guess it's a dispatch helmet as that stands for Briggs Motor Bodies. But what do I know

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Roger,
That webpage says the one with the lip around the edge is the 1st version.
Horror, it has a Brigg's inner in it. I heard somewhere that Brigg's made them both.
Dave

Yes, I've just read they did do both, but the difference between them is the leather neck guard and flaps. Check here

http://www.militaryheadgear.com/types/618/items/4

the DR helmet is also tipped up in the front in the way the liner mounts.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

I have a bag full of DR liner parts from some Airborne para reenactors that gutted DR helmets and made them into Para helmets.

Why was there such a big difference in the sale price?
Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Some people get carried away at auction, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't pay over £240 for one, but this one was a very early one with the rubber band around the rim so a lot rarer than the other one with was a Mk2 as far as I can tell.

This site shows the differences with the airborne helmets that used the same shell as the DR helmet.

http://home.tiscali.nl/nijsten/headgear.html#BMB3

what denotes the head size of the helmet is it just the padding or are there different sizes of helmet ie small medium larger which would cover most head sizes

Let's set the record straight (from WD records)....

Steel para helmet introduced in limited numbers in 1941...not the same as latter helmets and produced in limited numbers (called the "P" helmet - prototype ?)..

1942 saw the introduction of the steel para helmet...this had a shell produced without a separate rim and had the lower "lip" of the helmet turned in with the pressing die....the outer lower edge was fitted with a hard (red or black) fibre rim that loosened with wear and tear....

The same year saw the para shell used for the steel tank-crew helmet (Helmet, RAC) and the DR helmet, all 3 types being fitted with different linings and chinstraps and drilled accordingly.....

In late-1942 the fibre rim was deleted from all new production and the shell fitted with a lower stainless-steel non-magnetic rim.....this applied to all 3 types....

In 1943 new production para helmets were fitted with a new head harness made from webbing that remained in use until 1982.....the shell was modified by having the lining and head harness attached at 3 points instead of 4 on the earlier para and DR models....

In summary: 1942 1st pattern para and DR helmets share a common outer shell, with fibre rim and 4-point screw-fixed lining and harness attachment....the RAC helmet has the lining attached through the top so is not the same...

Late-1942 saw the fibre rim deleted and all three models of helmet shell were drilled differently according to use....on the DR helmet the lining was permanently affixed by rivets.....

All helmets were produced in 2 shell sizes.....size 1 fitted sizes 6 & 1/4 through to size 7 & 1/4.....Sizes 7 & 1/2 and 7 & 3/4 were fitted into a size 2 shell...

BMB (Briggs Motor Bodies of Dagenham, England) were pre-war car panel manufacturers....they produced the bulk of DR, RAC & Para helmet shells.....they also produced the bulk of wartime DR and Para helmet linings......

Post-war, manufacturers included "CCL" and others....

Well done on that Steve. I'll try and remember those details.
Talking of helmets. I was with Ian in that military shop in St Mare Eglise. I picked up a huge book on German helmets. As we perused this book in amazement at it's vastness, our attention was drawn back to the shelve, where were sitting... the other three volumes.
I don't think I'll start collecting German helmets. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

thank you everybody solves a few misteries for me roger

Nieuwe pagina 1