Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bsa carb

Hello!
Is the carb Amal 276AZ/1J good for a BSA M20.
What is the differcene between 276C/1B?
thank you.

email (option): aleaja79@hotmail.com

Re: bsa carb

AZ/1J makes it made for a specific model motorcycle, no idea what to be honest. If you use this body and put the correct parts in and on it it would make it ok for any other motorcycling using a 1" carburettor.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

My Spare Parts list for 1940 to 1954 doesn't include any AZ's but it does show the /1J as being a 15deg tilt on the float bowl. The std BSA one is a 1B which doesn't have any tilt.

I'm sorry I can't tell you about the internal bits for the body for the AZ spec- does it have a 1" bore?

The other dimension to check is the distance from the flange face to the centreline of the body - 1.5" on the std M20 one. There are some 276's that are longer - 2.5" for the 276FQ/1B for Arial 600 for example.

As Henk has suggested, if it has a 1" bore then eveything else could be swapped for the right bits.

I've found the 'AZ' in the listing (I think that I'm looking at the same one Ray) - The 276/AZ1J was standard fitment for the post-war (1946 - 54) Ariel ohv 350 NH. It has a 1" internal bore as per the M20 carb but according to the list has an internal diameter at engine end of 1 1/16" as opposed to 1"

This will obviously give you a step when fitted to the M20 cylinder which is not a good thing.

Main jet differs as does needle jet but these can be swapped over or replaced.

The M20 cylinders I have are all 1 1/16".

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I had 276B/1J fitted to the M20. Bike was total mix of different parts when I bought it. Any ideas where this carb came from?

Kalle

Rik, good job - I looked through that damn list twice and missed that entry.

Kalle, the 276B/1J is listed as the carby for a Matchless G3 (Ex WD) 1940-45.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Same here Henk! When I built my M20 into 600cc, Ian told me I'd have to open up the cylider port to acomadate an M21 1 1/16" carb. But when I came to do it, it was already big enough. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You're probably all running late-war 'tuned for economy' cylinders with a substantial enlargement of the inlet tract betwen carb and valve to reduce gas velocity and minimise cylinder filling.

The best thing would be to bring back port diameter to 1" and thus benefit from pre-war type performance. (You still won't catch a good Norton though !)

****Bullshit Alert****

I just measured prewar JM20 has also 1 1/16 inlet.

Rik..'you still won't catch a good Norton though'...
I guess it's lucky there aren't any then ...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Rik..'you still won't catch a good Norton though'...
I guess it's lucky there aren't any then ...Ian

5th June 2011, Ian. Sand or tarmac ?

Loser gets the drinks in.

Just out of interest, here is the 1940-on Amal fitment list. Any idea why they'd have run with a step ?

Photobucket

Carefull what you wish for Rik Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I've got nothing to lose Ron. If his is faster then I'll get the ACU examiner to measure the bore and stroke and have him disqualified for running more than 499cc....and it's my shout anyway !

I've just realised Ian's going to be running that OHV thing. At least my valves can't tangle !

499cc...add that together and it's 23...720cc..add that together and it's only 9...I should have a head start ...Ian

quote Rik..'you still won't catch a good Norton though'...
I guess it's lucky there aren't any then ...Ian email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com
unquote

Vividly remember feeling pissed-off on a sunny afternoon several years ago, whilst getting out of Arromanches up the steep hill toward Asnelles on my Triumph 3HW, with the rear end of what I believed to be a BSA WM20 disappearing (NOT RAPIDLY, I hasten to add) from view. Technically it may be regarded as an WM20, but I still feel it is cheating to add another 200+ cc. just to outdo my 350cc Meriden built Triumph in standard trim.
Maybe we should make the Belgian event at Zutendaal airfield into a who is fastest annual event? We have a NATO standard runway at our disposal to establish this!

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Give me a while Rob and I'll bring the M20 sprinter...that's only a 600!
As my M20 is in 'Desert' trim.... I am insisting the mods were done by the 'Bar None' club and are 'genuine'...The piston was recoverd from a crashed Fiesler Storch and modified to fit.. ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1