Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RE FLEAS, frame numbers and other RE bikes

I would like to know if the pre marking of R E M in front of a frame no on royal enfields, fleas and perhaps other makes, indicates the bike has been RE-MANUFACTURED post war,I thought I read this somewhere, but cant find that source's now ,andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: RE FLEAS, frame numbers and other RE bikes

I don't think so Andrew....I've had a fair few post-war Flea frames through my hands over the years and they are all prefixed "REM"....(RE = Royal Enfield rather than remanufactured).....

Thanks steve I was beginning to guess that was the case, I only have one thus marked, the other three are numbered in line with the published info, IE, British forces motorcycles, this post war frame seems to be same dia tubing as war time fleas , haven't measured with a gauge yet, but are these post war ones lighter when hefted, as read that the tubing is heavier but cant see a difference andrew h,

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

It may be there is a really heavy bit of steel holding the lower rear mount on making it heavier!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

The WD and post-war frames are identical except that the front saddle mounting bracket is different....and also the rear saddle spring mounts that are at a slightly different angle.....

Not certain why the WD specified these mods, though it may have been for one of two reasons (or both)...

1 - To raise the saddle height for military purposes (eg: the result of field testing or perhaps to fit the thing in the drop cradle ????)

or

2 - The WD engine was fitted with the Villiers carb assembly complete with air-cleaner...and when in place this would have contacted the toolbox as fitted to civvy versions.....so the toolbox was re-positioned above the top frame tube to make space for the carb assembly but then they had to raise the saddle to accommodate the toolbox...!!???

Steve, i've alway understood that it was for option 2.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Cameron sent me the start of a rough draft of a book he's trying to do, there was a lot of useful information in it, I don't want to put it on here as he owns the copyright on it, but maybe he has finished the book! Cameron- where are you???

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1