Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L

Hi Henk, Ian, Ron, hope all is well, website looking good. A good friend has just bought a G3L so I said I would ask a few questions for him. As far as gearbox lubrication goes, would it be along the lines of a SAE 40, I take it uses a wet clutch and there is oil dripping from primary case back plate, wondered if there is a similar type of seal as with the M20. Oh, the Matchless badge on the tank is like thin sheet steel, the philips screws obviously give it away but didn`t know if there are various types. Many thanks indeed and hard to believe only 3 yrs til the 70th. Ian. Photobucket

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Re: Matchless G3L

Hi Ian, If I may suggest; the AJS & Matchless Website (www.ajs-matchless.com) is where you will find a really good Archive of technical material and lots of info about the WD G3L. As for the chain case seal, there is a new type seal available which cures most of the leaks however, they all leak a bit out of the holes in the back chain case half where the shafts for the dynamo and magneto exit the case. These large(ish) holes are not sealed in any way and oil does splash out. I believe the tank badges should be transfers - black I think on wartime machines. Tank maybe a post war item as badges held on with screws were introduced on the first civilian models in 1945. Gearbox lube should be grease I think, the AMOC website will have all the correct answers. Cheers, Dave.

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

No the first G3L's had metal badges.... A follow on from the G3. Later economies dictated the transfers instead. I think the original instruction was for the gearbox to be filled with the correct quantity of grease on assembly. Or for the grease to be thinned with paraffin be able to pour it in. Nowadays you can buy semi fluid grease. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, Thanks for that info on the badges, you learn something new everyday...

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

Hi Ron, Dave, many thanks indeed for all the info, much appreciated and will pass it on, regards, Ian.

Hi Ian, Ron is correct that the WD G3L initially retained the tin M on the tank until some time in 1942. The M and the wings were separate pieces so if his are all one piece then they will be incorrect. It looks to be fairly accurate from the photos but the clutch cover on the primary case looks to be removable and if so this will be a later 50's cover. There is an oil company called Penrite who make a Semi Fluid Grease for Burman Gearboxes. I have a database of about 100 surviving WD G3WO and G3L's and I would be very grateful if your friend would let me have the frame and engine numbers. I can then date it and if he sends me some good photos I will try to tell him what parts are original or not for that contract. He can contact me at tinley@btinternet.com. Cheers John Tinley

John Tinley
Hi Ian, Ron is correct that the WD G3L initially retained the tin M on the tank until some time in 1942. The M and the wings were separate pieces so if his are all one piece then they will be incorrect. Cheers John Tinley

John, is that a fact now?? there's only 2 part numbers in the parts lists, for a left and a right.
For the G3, there's 4 part numbers, seperate wings!
very difficult to seen on original pictures this is,

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Pre-war Matchless models featured just a plain metal "M"....the wings were added just pre-war hence the 2-piece design.....

My very early panel-tank G3 that passed to Ron many years ago now actually featured one piece cast alloy tank winged M's....very unusual and they looked as old as the rest of the bike...never seen another pair since....

It is possible that wartime Matchless badges were made in one piece, but all such examples seen today are either copies or post-war production....

The metal M's lasted until 1943 until replaced by transfers......

Hi John, many thanks indeed for your comments and information, I will speak to Dave and see if he can take some more pics, I will send you what I have got of it on trailer plus frame and engine numbers aswell. Thanks to Alex and Steve, also for great input, Ian.

The parts list I have for contract 11102 lists:
38-G3-T57-L Wing emblem, for tank, left side
38-G3-T57-R Wing Emblem, for tanl, right side
D5-T500-L Embossed letter M, for tank, left side
D5-T500-R Embossed letter M, for tank, right side.

This was a contract with both amal & bowden controls and miller or lucas electrics.

And here are a pair of the two part flying M's. I'm just waiting for permission from Steve to replace the solid ally M's on my G3 Ron

Photobucket

Ron, I'd rather see a picture of the aluminium ones, maybe they're special "Airborne"

I have the loose winged ones in brass and steel, what are these?

These are my matt chromed steel ones, it took about 3 days getting the dents and scratches out!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Lex, here are my special operations ally air portable M's.
I have checked the two part M's that someone has painted black... with a magnet. The Wing's are steel and the M's are brass. I'm hoping the plating is good when I strip the paint off. Ron

Photobucket

Nieuwe pagina 1