Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A very pleasing picture.

Rural Devon with views into Cornwall and Ian's WB30 on one of it's first outings. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: A very pleasing picture.

Nice shot !!!! Even nicer bike !!!!!! Well done Ian....

How does it rate in comparison to the many wartime press reviews...???? And compared to the M20...???

Hi Steve, It is a LOT lighter and physically a bit smaller than the M20..an impression reinforced by the small petrol tank. Handling is good. I would say it bears comparison with bikes like the G3 Matchless and the Triumph 3HW though may be a bit lighter than both of those.
It's early days with the engine so I havent been able to explore its performance yet.
However, I would expect it to be very similar to an early B31. If that is the case top speed should be 70-75, cruising about 50-60 and fuel consumption 70-80mpg. The bike is from the Admiralty contract but I didn't particularly want a Naval spec. bike so markings are a 'compromise'...1st Royal Marine Engineers...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Keep us updated Ian...I have all the wartime reviews if you wish sight of them....can deliver at the next Shepton...

Fantastic restoration...well done mate !!!

I am interested in (and have been collecting) any information about the B30s. I might have a few things of interest to you as well Steve...Ian

Another fine bike Ian

Well done

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

An excellent desktop background……

That must be e bay prices...over £6500 for a desktop background.. ...Ian

the bike's rarity makes that money worth spending....

would my B31 engine fit into a M20 frame using a early B31 tank ian i am nearly there on getting my 400cc conversion maybe

I have tried that it won't work, the lugs on the B31 tank are mounted lower then the ones on a M20 the tank will come up under the top yoke. what I did was to weld some pieces of metal to the top of the lugs and drill some new holes, they need to be about 5/8 to 3/4 above the old holes, then the tank will fit.

Hi Roger, As Ian says the B31 and M20 tanks are different. The tank you actually need is an M33 one which has the clearance underneath for the rocker box of the OHV engine but fits the frame.(or modify a B31 item). Your B31 engine will fit straight into an M20 frame..however, you will also need an M33 head steady and the oil tank fittings to connect the rocker oil feed pipe to the return side of the system.
And you will need a B31 or M33 exhaust pipe and an M33 silencer.(though you could sleeve an M20 silencer to fit the smaller diameter OHV exhaust pipe)...Ian

Very difficult to get an M33 silencer for a rigid model, I am using an M20 silencer with a sleeve, you can buy the sleeve ready made for this purpose.

thanks everybody if i ever get the B31 going will paint it green this would double the selling price

Hi Ian..I would have thought Armours could supply a silencer for a rigid M33. The rigid frame model commenced in 47 and I think the frame remained in the parts lists till 53 for M Series bikes...there should be a few around..Ian

I will try them when I renew my silencer, something I'm thinking about doing.Thanks

Hi Ian,
Beautiful bike! A question: What did you do to those cases (gearbox and motor), they are so clean they almost look painted or plated, or are they bead-blasted?
Thanks,
nt

email (option): nicktog@gmail.com

Hi Nick, Engine cases etc. were blasted using an aluminium oxide roughing grit and then glass bead for finishing.
Gearbox was rough blasted and then sprayed silver...a finish applied by BSA into the wartime period on some models.
Frankly though I regret that...if you don't have paint it can't come off! I have acquired enough parts now to build a second gearbox so the first time the one in the bike has to come out I will replace it with one finished in the same way as the engine....Ian

Ian.
That looks a handsom and practical bike. Well done.

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

Thanks Peter..Apart from all the usual traumas I enjoyed the restoration. It was something different being such an unusual bike. Like most people, initially I knew very little about the B30 and with only two other examples of this later type known there were plenty of challenges in sorting out a full set of parts and all the relevant technical specifications..
For example I bought 4 of the correct type gearbox (luckily fitted to a few other pre war BSAs) and 3 of the early post war B31 boxes (which share some parts)plus some NOS bits to make up the two good gearboxes that I wanted to enable me not to limit the bikes use once built.
I've also now acquired nearly enough parts for a spare engine. On the whole I can't believe how lucky I have been in coming across some of the things I did..to name just a few, a 1940 dated full size factory drawing of the engine, a riders hand book from the first contract of only 50 bikes and the correct Burgess air filter. Also a parts list for my contract and other documentary information helpfully provided by some of the forum members.
As with every project though the real pleasure is saving another bike from an inglorious end...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1