Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pesky oil pump again

Hi there
I have an oil pump thats mega tight. I have read all of the advice on here regarding these, and on other sites.
all of info i found was on the flat faces, but mine seems to be tight on the spindles of the gears. I stripped it, and thoutoughly cleaned it.
even with the pump apart the gears are all tight when turned separately with the pump apart.
I am wondering weather to put fine grinding paste on the shafts and try loostening them up that way.
Any one done that before?

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Re: Pesky oil pump again

Hello Maxwell,

I would not put any grinding paste on the spindles,
as you mentioned all gears turn freely separately.

If you put any grinding paste on the shafts/spindles,
you would make it grind the bore to be oval, and gears not parallel to each other, and shift the problem
to the gear housing and make the gears grind the bottom tin cover, the housing of pump, and the pump
would lose its accuracy, efficiency (-: and flow rate.

Is this pump original, or made out of spares?
Try to put in one pare and then the second pare of gears.
May be then you can identify if one gear is especially
causing this tightness and replace it.

By the way-
The pump should not really turn totally freely when it is good and efficient.
You should invest some LOW power turning it.
Did you oil the gears bore and spindles when testing?

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Maxwell the Mazak metal of these pumps will grow and swell with age, causing the spindles to become too tight in their bores. It is my experience that you have no option other than to relieve them. Despite Noams concerns I have used fine grinding paste or even rolled up fine wet and dry paper. But just enough to see that each individual gear turns freely. When the pump is assembled it should all turn quite easily otherwise undue stress is put on the worm drive gear. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I used toothpaste...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

if the toothpaste dosnt work at least it will be nice gleaming white floss

Thanks For the reccomendations. So the metal swells, thats annoying. Funny You should mention toothpaste, I had the same idea when I did my teeth ha ha.
Yea I oiled it whilst trying it
I'll give it a try with something. Not sure if this is an original pump or bitsa, it was on the lump when I got it.
cheers

I have used with success, a variable speed drill to connect the pump into its chuck and loosened the tough to turn pump prior to installations into the motor.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi there,
I put the casings on glass, one was quite badly curved. I rubbed with grinding paste for a while.
Then it was nice and flat.

As there was paste everywhere I put the gears in each hole and turned them for a while. with all the paste everywhere this has made the pump more free.
I cleaned it all up and re assembled, now it turns by hand, but not too loose.
I seringed oil into the feed hole whilst on engine. I turned the crank and oil was pumped out of a hole on the timing side.

Did BSA ever do a service sheet detailing oil pump overhaul? All the literature I have seen just says don't dismantle unless necessary and nothing more.
Or does anyone know where such information could be found? Done a search here but was just wondering if there is an idiot's guide anywhere that covers all aspects and possible problems.
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1