Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with a frame & engine number please..

Guys
Would someone mind looking these up for me please, from looking on the page in the site looks like '39

Frame is WM20 91369
Engine No. WM20 10831

Many thanks.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Re: Help with a frame & engine number please..

What exactly is it that you're looking for Kit ? The frame number is a lateish one, up in the ninety thousands. The engine number is likely to be early 1940.

I'm trying to find out any info, is it 1939 frame with a later engine? is it the original pair, just checking out a bike to see if it checks out..
I think I'm right in saying it is a late '39 and a later engine.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

The other way round - Frame No. WM20 91369 is from contract S1048 delivered at 2000 per month from May 1943 and the engine is from C5110which was a rather confusing 1939 contract (it ran into 1940)

You really need Rob Miller (or Lex) to see if it's in the Key cards to know if it's a period bitsa !

Sorry I was out enjoying "actual life"

Neither the frame or engine numbers show up in the keycards

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,
Please can you tell me what these Key cards are? I have had my WDM20 for 21 years now and only know that the frame is a 1940. Can you work out the month with these cards?
Regards,
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave post up your frame/eng numbers. Most are in "British Forces Mtorcycles". Otherwise Rob's key cards might show up more. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Dave

We have talked about the "Keycards" on the forum several times and you can use the search facility at the top to see previous discussions, but in a nutshell the known set was created in the very late 40s to record vehicles alloted the new postwar army registration system (eg "76YD45"). But on occasion the information can tell us something about the earlier history of a vehicle.

Thanks Ron and Rob,
Off out now will post numbers later today.
Thanks,
Dave

Hi Rob,
Got the numbers they are
Frame number WM20 26522
Engine number WM20 50273
The bike was not registrated when I bought it in 1989 so it has an age releted number.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Hi Dave

The Keycard for frame WM20 26522 says.

Postwar WD Registration No. 29YD12
Late war tank rebuild serial. C 1440412 (it would have been C 4343114 from new).
Contract. 7287 (C7287).
Last recorded posting. RAC Range & AA T.A.
Sold off. 7 12 65

WM20 50273 says.

Post war WD Reg. 46YD94
Tank serial. C 4559782
Contract. C9310
Last recorded posting. CVD Ashchurch.
Sold off from Ashchurch 14 7 60.

The frame number matches the tank serial on 50273 so this isn't your bike.

I would guess your bike was manufactured very late 1940 or early 1941?

If you want a copy of your keycard it's available from Lex who owns them.

Rob.

Thanks Rob,

That information is very interesting When I bought the bike in 1989 I wrote to Chris Orchard and he give me a tank number, I couldn't beleive it, it's 10 of the number that you gave me C4343124. Rob, my tank has the cut off for the filter, I have heard that all late tanks had this, so when you say that it had a late war tank rebuild would it have had that tank put on? I have a filter to put on when I get the old gal back on the road.
Rob, how do I get in touch with Lex? I would like a copy of the Keycard.
Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave

The rebuild serials were issued in the later par of WW2 but as yet we have been unable to work out just when they began. Damaged and broken down bikes were taken to the workshop, stripped down and rebuilt using any usable part that came to hand or new if necessary. Your petrol tank could be either.

So of a rebuilt bike the only part you can be (almost) sure is original from the factory is the front half of the frame.

I've rechecked the original serial and I stand by C4343114 for WM20 26522, contract C7287 started at WM20 25001 = C4341593 and carried on consecutively, which has been proven by the large quantity of surviving bikes shown in the keycards with matching numbers.

Lex looks in on the forum quite often or you could look back through some old threads and find his E Mail address.
Rob.

You can also have a look at his web site. Ron

Lex Schmidt Welbike site

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm here! but bizzy, getting 3 B4's in parts to the sandblaster!

Lex

welbike@welbike.net

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Sorry all about being slow in repling. Rob sorry if you think that I was querying your tank number, all I was saying is that when Chris gave me that number all them years ago he wasn't far of the mark.Thanks again.
Lex can you please give me some details of how I can obtain a copy of the Keycard for my M20.
Cheers,
Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1