Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dutch Army Matchless G3/L

Hi All

I have come across a photo showing a Dutch Army soldier in uniform sat on a military Matchless G3/L however, what is interesting is that this Matchless G3/L is not a wartime WD G3/L but a 1949/50 model Rigid G3/L (I have a 1949 Rigid G3/L so know what to look for - headlamp bracket & mudguards etc.). It is in Dutch Army colours (OK the photo is black and white but it looks right) and has the numbers 770 stenciled on the tank in white just above the chrome flying M badge. I am lead to believe that the soldier was a member of a Dutch Signals unit, if this helps. The photo was taken in Holland in 1950. As the British Army carried on using the wartime WD G3/L right up to the late 1950s, does anyone know how the Dutch Army came to have late 1940s/early 1950s Military versions of the Matchless G3/L? Is there a way of finding out if these were specially built for the Dutch Army under contract?

Cheers, Dave

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

Re: Dutch Army Matchless G3/L

Hi Dave, I don't know about G3L's, but the Dutch army certainly had rigid/tele BSA M33s and a batch of A7s, all in green with dull chrome fittings and the M20 carrier/pannier set up. I have some pics somewhere, as I was going to build my M33 in that style.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

The Dutch army also went on to plunger models I believe....and then the C15. They also had swinging arm Matchli (Matchlessss) and bikes from a variety of other sources such as the 500 Triumphs. The Brits had a small number of TRWs but didn't get anything else new (apart from a few 'tiddlers') until the B40s arrived in the 60s. Though the Home Office,AA, RAC, Fire Brigades, Forestry Commission, Milk Marketing Board etc. etc. all had early post war models.
I think the Army just had so many WW2 bikes left they didn't need them...Ian

Just had permission from the photographs owner to post it. It shows his father sat on the Matchless. The photo was taken in 1950 "Somewhere in Holland".

Around 1960 the Dutch Army started looking for a newer bike; trials for new army bikes were held in 1965, comparing the Triumph 3TA, the Matchless G3 and the BSA B40. The Triumph was the winner, and in 1966 1100 were acquired.
For the full story have a look at http://www.triumph3ta.nl/Engels/indexengels.html

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Dave, the 1949 G3L was certainly built for the Dutch army, have parts lists and manuals for them, the AJS-Matchless club of Holland have bought out most spares for those now, see official picture of one:

The '49 model was actually one of my first bikes!!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Alex, Thank you very much for the info and pictures, it answers a lot of questions. Would you mind if I add one or two of the pictures to a similar thread I have going on this subject on the AJS & Matchless Club website forum?

Cheers, Dave

Dave
Hi Alex, Thank you very much for the info and pictures, it answers a lot of questions. Would you mind if I add one or two of the pictures to a similar thread I have going on this subject on the AJS & Matchless Club website forum?

Cheers, Dave

Yes Dave, please use it, let me know if you need more info, but I suspect the Brit/Dutch club knows more about the numbers of bikes involved, they would have been supplied to the "Crown Agents" and they sold them on to the Dutch government.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I have asked questions on the Club forum as to the Type 49/G3 L as used by the Dutch military but no solid info so far, I'm hoping there will be some reference to them in the factory records.

In the immediate post war situation, the Dutch military authorities used all sorts of WD bikes.
And indeed in 1949 they ordered a batch of Matchless G3L motor cycles, and again in 1951 some more (with a different diameter rear spindle, but still rigids). In 1956 another bacth of G3Ls with jampot rear suspension, and a last Matchless batch was acquired in 1961: alternator model, aluminium primairy case and heavy duplex frames. Nothing really different from civilian models but but safety bars, and for the swing arm models seat and panniers.

The Triumph 3TA had several real modificatiobns, incl Solex Carb, air filter cast in aluminium, and air intake through a pipe in the petrol tank towards the nacelle, 18" wheels, crash bars, and a single seat ao.

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Here's a picture of my 1949 G3L.
It is one of the first batch the Dutch Army bought in 1949.

Would like to know if anybody recognizes the mudguards a stays (the rear stays are ok, but the front..)

Looking for the right mudguards an front stays Anybody??

By the way, the front wheel is mounted the wrong way round. previous owner had the manual the wrong way round.
Matchless G3L 1949

Matchless G3L 1949

email (option): bsam20wd@live.nl

Thank you everyone for all the information placed here, I now have a better understanding about these Type 49 G3/L Dutch Army Matchless motorcycles. Thank you once again. Dave

One more request please, to get a better feel for the period when these Type 49/G3 L Dutch Army Matchless motorcycles were in use, does anyone have a picture of Dutch Army Motorcyclist in uniform from the late 1940s/early 1950s? I'd like to know what uniforms were in use during this period. Thanks.

After the second war and up to the Korea conflict (somehow nobody calls that a war) the Dutch army was structured like the British army, with BD , SMLE No. 4's etc, webbing, anklets and all. However the woollen Battle dress uniform was copied from the Canadian version: in green rather than khaki and with the 1937 pattern folds in the chest pockets etc.

After Korea with the Netherlands trying to be the best boy in the European class, all that equiment was ditched and we changed to the US uniform and organisation of the army.

Matien. The Velocette MDD has that style but I think yours might be home made? Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As far as my memory goes, the 1949 Matchless, incl. the Dutch army ones used identical mudguards to the WD-G3L. Fronst stand was the same as the WD-G3L, but I can't remember if the pressed steel hollow stays were continued after the war, I think nit.
The rear brackets were a combined item looking like the G3-WO ones but in smaller diameter tubing, and with a slightly squared off look to the handlegrip bit.
Your mudguards do not look standard Matchless for that year, nor your rear chain guard and the battery clamp.
And the Dutch army ones had a text on top of the petrol tank: dit voertuig kost Fl. 2300,- etc.
In the hope that drivers would be carefull.

Well...i 'ts a bit off topic, but i would like to chare a picture of my dad ( rip) in his Canadian patern Dutch military uniform as Rob van Meel discribed before.
It must be taken around the mid 50's sitting on a brand new shiny Matchless .
He kept his dufflebag a long time and i used to play as a kid with it's contence .
To the best of my knowledge the battle dress was a "MvO" restamped original "C and arrow" Canadian jacket .

So if you spot an Dutch "MvO" battle dress you might want to look further for the C-Arrow.

Ed.

Van Diversen

email (option): mirjam.ed@planet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1