Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wdco cylinder head to barrel fit

Thanks to chris hall selling me an engine and stuff, I have managed to "upgrade" my WDC.

Bit of a fight, but getting towards the end now.

I put the cylinder head onto the barrel, last night.
It came with a copper ring, that I annealed nice and soft. However, when the bolts are up as tight as I'd like to go then the head is still maybe a mm or so off the barrel (proabably the thickness of the copper ring).

It seems gas tight, but surely it cannot be right that there is a slight gap ? I asked hitchcocks and they reckoned it's ok but I am not convinced. Heat transfer has to be compromised for a start.

Could anyone comment ?
I am thinking of just running with just a metal on metal joint with a smear of red hermatite. Works on the ariels.

cheers

John

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Re: wdco cylinder head to barrel fit

John as long as you have removed the old copper ring...It can't help but be right. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

oh Ron, if only it were that simple 8-)

I've never seen an early OHV enfield engine. I could have a later head or early barrel (or vice versa) and they could be different.

Just seems odd that with the one copper gasket on top of the barrel flange, then the rest of the head won't sit down flat on barrel.

Do yours ? go on, give me a clue.

OK John I wasn't thinking along the lines that you might have a wrong head. Here is mine (on which I've done a far few miles) which shows a small gap at the head/barrel face. I've just helped a mate with a head off job on his girlfriend's CO, and it looked just like this. Ron

Photobucket

It sounds like it is just a fire ring type gasket, if you could get the two faces to meet, they would not tighten up any more to allow for the compression of the gasket. I'm sure it is normal if the gasket is just a ring that sits on the inside of the head and contacts on the barrel spigot

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Ron,

thanks mate. Just got back home.
this is exactly what mine looks like ... much relief all round.

I have lost count of how many times I owe you a pint. Should we ever meet, you won't be leaving the pub for days ...

cheers

John

You're welcome John. As Dave said, If you didn't have that little gap, The head could meet the barrel before the gasket is compressed. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1