Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 copper head gaskets

Hi. Would there be any interest in copper head gaskets? The only reason I ask is because I am in touch with a firm that makes gaskets & was going to see if I could get some made at a reasonable cost, normally the more you have made the cheaper it becomes, although copper is not cheap these days.
I will make inquiries today anyway to see what I can get them done for

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Re: M20 copper head gaskets

I had planned to have them made in Holland but they became to expensive. There is a guy in the USA selling them in the thickness of your choice.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Get them from Lani in the US. Avalable in a range of thicknesses, cost around 12 quid each (I paid $46 for 2 with shipping) -This is cheaper than Draganfly composite gaskets and included P&P!
If someone orders a few they should come out at 12-13 quid each, ready made, no hassel getting someone to start making them. No brainer unless you can get them significantly cheaper and have time on your hands.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Something for you Ian to order a dozen or so? I will take two, and I'm sure there will be other interested parties

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

I will have one if anybody gets some made up/sent over

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

I've mailed Lani for a quote for 10 gaskets with shipping to the UK or Germany (dats where I am).
I'll let you know the unit cost when he replies. If nobody else takes up the idea I may get some for anyone prepared to pick them up at Stafford or the BSA international in Germany. Or TT John may have some by then anyway.
Cheers
Pete

I'd be interested in a couple! Cant be bothered with getting them in from the USA. I've made one in the past which I'm currently using, it is a hassle and you have to buy the copper sheet of course.

Lani has replied already!
He will do them for $17 (US) each and shipping would be in the region of $20 (depends on end weight) so say around $20 (12.50 imperial) each would be fairly accurate.
Anyone interested? Anyone in the UK want to organise it? I can do it but, as I said, I'm in Germany so distribution would be a bit more difficult for me (and I've got my gaskets already )
Cheers
Pete

Hi Peter

How do you calculate the correct gasket thickness to use/order if the head is still in place on your bike that's still in use

To be safe it seems you might have remove & check clearance

Any way to avoid or is there a safe thickness

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi John..With a standard engine you should fit a gasket 1mm (.040") thick to guarantee maintaining a correct piston to head clearance. Some attention should be paid to this during engine assembly. With the base gasket fitted the piston should come flush with the top of the barrel. A .040" thick gasket will then give that amount of clearance with the engine static. However, when running flex in the crankshaft assembly will reduce this figure. If the STATIC clearance falls below .030" there is a real chance the piston will contact the head.
However, for the squish area to function correctly it is generally accepted that RUNNING clearance should not exceed .040". If a thicker than standard cylinder base gasket is used this figure may be exceeded.
So to conclude..check that the piston IS flush with the gasket face..then use a .040" thick gasket. When running the squish will then fall in the correct .030"-.040" range...Ian

Thanks Ian

Spot on as usual

:-)

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1