Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Felt Washer between Mag Ass'y and Timing Case

I remember removing a large felt washer from the back of the timing gear case where the magdyno assembly butted up against it. I cant seem to find it on any parts diagrams (currently doing a big parts order on Dragonfly!). Im replacing the oil seal inside the timing case - do I need the felt one also? From memory it was about 2-3mm thick, so it might affect the position of the drive gear if I dont replace it...

email (option): adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Felt Washer between Mag Ass'y and Timing Case

It didn't have one as standard, but a useful mod to do , I don't know where you'll find one though!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

A front or rear wheel felt washer perhaps ?

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

If the shoulder on the back of the mag drive gear is in good condition, the oil seal used is a modern replacement and the mag is positioned correctly the seal in the crankcase should render this mod unnecessary...that's the reason the oilseal is there..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

The last thing you'd want to do if your oil seal was leaking is put the felt washer in there, but it is a good idea to keep crud and water out of the seal-less mag body

Felt could be between body & crankcase not inside as an oil seal

With a worn mag body or poor shimming even a modern seal won't last forever without some give or wear

Maybe this felt was to cover this up externally ?

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thats what I meant, in between the mag and timing chest not as a replacement or addition for the oil seal

I have seen this type of mod on a number of occasions made of felt, gasket material and even cardboard. I can say with some confidence that the reason it was done was an attempt to stop the oil that was leaking past the
seal.
This is really a classic case of treating the symptom not the cause.
Running for extended periods with the mag straps not fully tightened is the main cause of the problem. This leads to (sometimes severe)wear of the base of the mag and the mag platform on the crankcase. As a result the mag moves out of its correct position and exerts pressure on the seal and this can result in severe wear of the seal housing in the crankcase as well.
Also the original type of oilseal was not as effective in the first place as the modern types.
All of this wear can be rectified but it involves a complete strip down of the engine to carry out the repairs.
So, to avoid this a temporary or attempted 'fix' is the insertion of an additional 'seal' or 'gasket' as described.
With an engine that has the mag platform and seal housing in good condition (or properly repaired), a good base on the mag body, a modern seal fitted and a mag drive gear that is not worn/corroded heavily on the sealing surface no additional seals are required.
This method of sealing is not particularly effective anyway as the back of the seal housing and the front face of the mag are often not square to each other and it would be difficult to exert any pressure against the felt seal when tightening the mag straps.
The best thing to do in my opinion is to prepare the engine so that everything functions as intended..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for all of the replies - the rubber seal in the timing case was pretty well shot, so this perhaps explains why the felt washer was installed. I've ordered a new one - so hopefully the felt one will not be required.

Thanks again

Andy

email (option): adh325@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1