Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petrol Tank Repair

Hello all! It's been a while - I've been in hibernation!

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a bit of advice on doing up my fuel tank. It's been pretty much untouched all it's life, very rusty and flaky inside and has a dent in the side. It still feels pretty robust though.

How do I start? And do I attempt to pull the dent or would filling it be a better option.

I've seen 'kits' for stripping the inside of the tank and sealing it, are these any good - or can I buy the elements needed separately?

Thanks again in advance!

Andy

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Petrol Tank Repair

Hi Andy..'Pulling' dents can be difficult in these tanks, particularly if there is a crease along the edge of the dented area. Generally you will need to weld a threaded piece to the tank in the center of the dent and use a slide hammer to pull it, removing the welded on piece afterwards.
Alternatively you can cut a hole in the bottom allowing you to access the dent from the inside and knock it out, patching the bottom on completion.
With either of these methods it is best to heat the area to be worked to red hot and allow it to cool naturally before starting..this will soften the steel by 'normalising' it and make it easier to work.
If the dent is not too big then body filler is probably the easiest answer.
Tanks that are rusted internally should be cleaned as thoroughly as possible before applying sealer.
I generally do this by getting hold of a pound or two of 'pea gravel' (the stuff used in the bottom of fish tanks) and putting it in the tank with a quantity of paraffin. Tighten down the filler cap and give the whole thing a good 'rattle' for a while.
Then empty it all out, flush out the tank with hot soapy water and then heat it or put it in a warm environment until completely dry.
You will need to use a sealant that is resistant to the higher ethanol content petrol about to be introduced...currently I would recommend the one supplied by Draganfly Motorcycles...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Another good way is as Ian says is to put the pea gravel in the tank but wrap it in a couple of thick blankets and place it in a cement mixer and leave it running for about an hor or so, as for the dents, see the little drawing below to give you a pretty good idea how to do them, but if they aren't tooo bad I'd just fill them, my idea only works well on serious ones
Photobucket

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Good tips - thanks fella's.

email (option): adh325@hotmail.com

on the subject of tank sealant if the tank is already sealed but is leaking not due to sealant failing can you just put some more sealant straight in

Nieuwe pagina 1