Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does anybody recognise this one?

Beute Brit bike me thinks... but which one...?

Cheers,
Jan (rewdco)

Photobucket

“And now it's your turn to get up off that couch and go into the deserts, go into the mountains, go under the lakes, rivers, and seas and search for history. You'll never find a more rewarding adventure!” (Clive Cussler)

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Re: Does anybody recognise this one?

My guess would be Velocette
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

You might be right Mick? I think Fritz might have made a few modifications. Both Military Velo's MDD and MAF have an automatic adv/ret so no need for that lever. Also the headlamp brackets are flat. But the top headlamp fixing to the forks looks like Web/Velo. I wonder if it's a prewar impressed MAC of which I know little. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I don't think it's Velo, as it has a Lucas headlamp, and the steering damper looks a lot more RE to me!!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

They are not RE forks that I recognize! However I agree the steering damper does look RE. Also the headlamp looks Lucas. I wonder if it's been built up with odd parts? The headlamp brackets look flat and home made. Did any RE's get to Europe? I know some Velo's were ordered by the French government, but I'm not sure they made it. There is a rumour that 500 MAF's were sunk in the channel on route. Ron

Looked at an Ariel the other night, and that had flat strip as headlamp brackets,and has "Webb" design fork, but no steering damper.

Loads of R.E. were sold to France before the outbreak of the war, Jan can tell you all about it!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

OK on that Lex. It's the top headlamp bracket position at the forks. The only one I know like that is Velo. Early W/NG's had steering dampers and side check springs. Ron

I do agree that the steering damper looks like an Enfield item, but the forks, fork links and haedlamp brackets certainly aren't...

Jan (rewdco)

Photobucket

“And now it's your turn to get up off that couch and go into the deserts, go into the mountains, go under the lakes, rivers, and seas and search for history. You'll never find a more rewarding adventure!” (Clive Cussler)

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

The trouble is Jan, as you know. the Germans were mixing up parts to get vehicles up and running. That looks like an 8" headlamp? Did W/NG's ever have them? Also it's easy to just leave the side check springs off. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1