Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Post war M20 rear hub for sale on Marktplaats

Post war rear hub on www.Marktplaats.nl

rear hub

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Post war M20 rear hub for sale on Marktplaats

That's a fairly rare hub..For the first 5 months (or less) that the M33 was fitted with tele forks it still had the 'WD' type gearbox...so,with no drive from the front wheel and no drive from the gearbox it was moved to the rear wheel for that very short period...The following year the gearbox incorporating the speedo drive was fitted...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Doesn't look like the hub is detachable from the sprocket, what a horrible job when having to change or fix a tyre! I think I'll stick with the later 'splined' hub which is a quicker detachable hub from the three bolt on type. Anyone agree?

Hi LJ..Yes, this is the later pattern hub with the sprocket riveted to the hub as on the early B Models (B31/3). I don't use the QD facility on my WDM20 anyway...I just remove the whole wheel as once I've got those hub bolts Loctited and tight I like to leave them that way. A bigger problem with these late hubs is if you have to replace the sprocket/brakedrum. There aren't any replacements and the whole wheel has to be stripped down to do the repair. ...Ian

I agree, but you can do a lot of miles on a good sprocket. I was silently thinking of putting this hub in the WD M20 as I am also not using the QD-function. It seems a much stronger construction to me, the bearings are bigger and further apart. The sprocket in the QD design also has a much larger offset from the bearing so I think these bearings must have a hard life....

But originality first and of course the QD design has proven itself... much more miles than I am going to make.. Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Hi Michiel..I can see the logic in your thinking. However, these hubs do have a potential problem. Not specifically with the hub but with the spindle.
I have seen three of this type of spindle that have snapped...one on my own 1949 M21.
The fracture occurred in the same place on every one where the section (diameter) of the spindle changes next to one of the bearings.
I found it difficult to source a replacement...Ian

Hi Ian, Thanks for the tip. The spindle indeed has a sharp edge by the change in diameter, that will be the start of the crack.

Lets stick to the original QD-hub.....

Michiel

If you did fit that wheel you could have the only military M20 fitted with twin speedos.(no not that kind of speedos). ..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1