The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Something to do for your children...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBptlmu7kA

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Something to do for your children...

Nice one Kostas! I love my son to bits! But I fear when I'm gone, my bikes will be sold to pay his mortgage and buy a new Japanese car. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Kostas...A great clip..It shows how a motorcycle can be so much more than a 'fashion accessory'. I have had my M20 roughly half my life but I've always said I am just looking after it for the next Guy...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

thanks kostas i enjoyed watching that

Thanks Kostas my Father is past away last year and I learnt from him how to restrore bike and cars indeed so it is going in live!!

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

I really don't get it. In fact, I nearly choked on all the sentimentality in this video. Nothing wrong with father's leaving stuff to their kids, etc. So they should. Nothing wrong with filial respect. But this was ladled on a bit thick - especially with the engraved plate on the back of the bike telling us that: For my father who taught me all the things I ever needed to know in life.

Then I see that donations are sought to pay for the Pearl Jam song rights. These kind of personal videos can work if handled right. But this one was a little too cloying for me, a little too contrived to tug at the heart strings. Father-son relationships are invariably a lot more complex.

This one put me in mind of one of those awful American country and western songs with everyone crying into their beer and waxing lyrical over some cowboy fantasy about riding the range. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE country and western - but less so when it comes at you thick and syrupy.

I did take a second look at the video, but I still don't see what the big deal is. I thought I missed something, but I don't think I did. Restoring dad's old (neglected) Beemer is fine. Keeping a family record of it is okay too. But I can live without all the saccharin.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Pretty negative thoughts there Danny. I dont know what you dont get. I dont know what your problem is but I thought it was a good video. He restored a BMW in memory of his father and obviously there was a lot of memories of the bike in his family what a great thing to do. BMWs dont do anything for me and I dont know this person at all but well done for him restoring it. His dad would be proud as I would be if my son or daughter restored one of my BSAs in memory of me when Im gone. I liked the video thanks for sharing it Kosta.

Hi Terry, I've got no problem with restoring a bike in memory of someone. And I love BMWs and own one. All credit to him for restoring it, etc. No problem there.

I like personal videos too (and I made one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMhEDiHd69g).

But as I said, I just thought this one was laid on a little thick, that's all. It's a question of personal taste. It's like having sugar in your coffee. There comes a point where it's too much. For me, this was too much.

There was, in fact, another aspect that grated a little; it was the fact that this video invited public donations for what is essentially a very private thing. A more cynical mind might call it manipulative; tugging at people's emotions to help fund the music rights. I wouldn't quite go that far, but I think that if it didn't actually cross a line, it certainly stepped on one.

How is that people can't honestly disagree without being "negative"? It's just opinion. Isn't that what forums are for? Or do we all have to toe the same line?

Over 303,000 people watched that video. Presumably, many - if not most - liked it. I took a different view. Vive le difference, and all that.

Ron Pier
Nice one Kostas! I love my son to bits! But I fear when I'm gone, my bikes will be sold to pay his mortgage and buy a new Japanese car. Ron

The best way to avoid that Ron, is to wear 'em out first !

I actually thought it a shame to restore that Bee-emm. It just looked nicely patinated to me.

What a shame that he didn't get it running while the old boy was still around to see it.

My Dad used to ride a Lambretta. I hope to hell that he hasn't got it stashed away somewhere with a note in his will !

I didn't take too much notice of the presentation..the ways people would present this pretty personal tale are bound to differ.
What I liked and could empathise with is how what is basically just a machine can become part of the thread of peoples lives and an intrinsic part of their memories...much more in fact than the sum of its parts.
It's why say...£10000..won't by my M20..or more to the point the good things I associate with it...Ian

Hi Danny,
Just had to say I don't know why you commented really if you didn't like the clip.
I don't like YOUR video especially the music.. you talk about sugar coated !!
I found your clip totally uninspiring.. It didn't even focus on the bike, what's it all about..
I did what most people would do if I didn't rate it, I don't have to watch it again full stop.
You did manage to get the magazine "Sump" mentioned yet again I suppose.
I mention this now NOT because I have some allegiance to the video mentioned in this thread,
but because I feel an overwhelming urge to do so.. now that you brought up the subject of video clips..

Hi JG, thanks for your comments. I think I'm getting the hang of life now. I can only comment when I agree with something, huh? Never mind that you commented on my video and didn't agree with the people who did like it. Does anyone smell sour grapes around here? And sugar coated? I'd disagree. And I'm certainly not asking for donations to fund tbe soundtrack.

But hey, it's your view. You can do what you like with it. And no, you definitely don't have to watch it again, full stop. That goes without saying. So rate it or don't rate it. Watch or don't watch. Like it or hate it. Makes no difference to me. And by the way, it wasn't me who brought up the subject of video clips. KOSTAS introduced the topic for viewing/discussion. I merely commented on it. But I'll remember in future; I'll only comment when I agree with, or approve of something. You just send me a long list of all the other things you want me to agree with and I'll sign it off.

You know, we used to have a culture of intellectual honesty whereby people could honestly say what they thought without fear of censure or mealy-mouthed rebuke. Some people are still fundamentally intellectually honest; they speak their mind in good faith and try to add a little perspective to the world. They try to look at the wider picture. They see things differently, and the world's a better place for it.

On the other hand, some people take the opposite view and believe that we all have to march to the same drum.

I think I already made the point that over 303,000 people watched the video, and that many if not most liked it. If you like it, fine. But here's the bottom line: I disagree.

There is some controversy about which Monday is "Blue Monday" this year, but I think the evidence is beginning to point to today.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Gawd 'elp us if we can't take a little controversy like this. Have we gone that soft?

Thanks Danny, I haven't had such a good laugh for a while..
I honestly didn't mean to upset you everyone to their own opinions..
JG

It looks like I was one of the first to view the video that Kostas posted. Personaly I thought that it was quite touching that someone had gone to the trouble of assembling the pictures from a lifetime of his Father and then restored the old Beemer in his memory. I also think that Danny can have his own view on it. Even if I don't see it. I would love to think that my own son (also Danny) would do the same when I am gone....but I doubt it. Ron

Think what you want and say what you think...God forbid that we should all agree about everything...Ian

Ian Wright
Think what you want and say what you think...God forbid that we should all agree about everything...Ian

Well said Ian. If I had to agree with everyone then there is no way I'd be posting on a BSA site !

I think that I'm going to message Ron and ask if he wants to adopt me. I'd carry his photo everywhere, and commission Disney to make a tear-jerking video. Hell, I'd even play it on a DVD player built into the Big 4 chair !

There's an old saying that goes like this: Nothing makes you wonder more about what you said, than to have someone else tell you what they heard.

Look back at my original post. I'll summarise my view here: Nice cake, too much icing.

That's all.

I'll take you on Rik, if no one else loves you. Ron

It's got nothing to do with love Ron...other than Riks love for your Nortons ... ..Ian

HAHA. I must say I was about to volunteer as an adopted son to ya Ron.

I am a bit surprised at how many people my age have zero interest in my old m20. I will be 26 in June. Most of my friends my age still think Im mad for buying such an old wonky motorcycle. I wouldnt be at all surprised if my kids(if i ever have kids) haul my old motorcycles to the rubbish pile.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

I started on British bikes along with the majority of my friends..By the time I hit my mid to late Twenties most of my friends had 'moved on' to more modern bikes and were constantly (helpfully) suggesting that I 'sell that old crap' and 'get a decent bike'.
Well I plodded on through the next 20-25 years with the occasional foray into the 'wonderful world' of newer machines.
Those newer machines have come and gone..my mates newer machines came and went...I still have my M20 and my B33.
I guess what they don't get is it's about the 'long game'...I suppose in a society obsessed with the new the challenge is to get the following generations to realise there might be more to life than that and that there is some virtue and pleasure in continuity..Ian

i was brought up on classic bikes so i have always loved them my M20 i love riding it though i dont go far enough on it because my freind had new bikes i brought a new 2009 triumph bonneville cant say i love riding it cant seem to get comfortable on it got foot peg lowering kit rased handle bars different seat not like the M20

Mine is already spoken for! :-)

Matt on bike

Thats a good looking bike! Paint looks real nice too.

By the way Sam. What paint did you use? (yes i said that dreaded word.. PAINT)

Sam I have a similar picture of my son when he was not much older than yours (he's 37 now) sat om my M20 with steel helmet on......but without the smile. He just never got it with bikes! Maybe my six year old grandson will be a biker? Ron

PS the Norton does look good. Did you sort the piston problem?

The bike looks great..When I bought my first bike..a 250 Matchless...it was my Father who didn't have the smile on his face .Fortunately (although I didn't inherit a bike from him) I did inherit his stubborn streak. The immediate offer of a trade off for a 'free' car didn't stop me !.Initially he wouldn't have the bike on his property but the Engineer in him got the upper hand as he couldn't bear to see the bike stood out in the rain. On a particularly wet night he said..'I suppose you'd better put that thing in the garage..but keep away from my car.. and my tools!'.
Eventually my ineptitude got to him as well and he ended up helping me with repairs.'just to see it done properly' of course!..Ian

Ron Pier
Sam I have a similar picture of my son when he was not much older than yours (he's 37 now) sat om my M20 with steel helmet on......but without the smile. He just never got it with bikes! Maybe my six year old grandson will be a biker? Ron

Sad Ron, very sad....
Although my youngest daughter rides a classic (a heavily modified 1966 Army Triumph 3TA), I sincerely hope that grandson Stan, now 9, will really like my WDM20 when he turns 18. But nothing is guaranteed

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Thanks for the compliments. Michael, The paint we had mixed up by Sherwin Williams Industrial coatings division, I can get you the codes if you like. It is matched to an NOS Universal carrier spare battery box lid that had never seen the light of day. Wether correct or not I dont know, but it is matched to something the Ford Motor Company of Canada was using. Interestingly enough, the bike looks almost O.D. in the sunlight and brown in the shade, which was I am told the idea behind this shade. Anyhow, the trick to the ultra dull finish is thinning with gasoline instead of paint thinner.
Ron, OHhhhhhh, the misery of the engine, no I still haven't gotten the thing right, I put it together and went up to Canada for Remembrance day with it, then I got home and parked it. I'll get more ambition to rip it appart again when the weather get's better, right now it's -12' F with 2 feet of snow and I'm hybernating! :-) I'm looking for an NOS engine still in the crate if you know of one.
Both my sons love the bike, which creates a problem, who do you give it to? Guess I need to get another! maybe a Honda Dream?

Sam. Probably a good idea to get an M20 now. Then when your son's become old enough they can argue over which is the best. Like what happens on here. Ron

Sam..Just get two M20s..that will prevent a long running family feud and they will BOTH have the best bike ...Ian

Motor bikes can create some strong emotions and inner feelings.
I have just sold a twenty year old PanEuropean with 90,000 miles on the clock. I know a lot of people will just see it as old utilitarian Jap crap, but to me it was a faithfull machine that took me, my kids, and girlfreinds on many distant holidays with no problems. It was also my primery mode of transport. That bike had so many good memories of times, places and people attached to it.
The feeling inside of me is the same as losing a dog or good freind and I miss it when I open the garage door.

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

Hi Pete...and I bet there's a twinge of guilt for not hanging on to it...Ian

Hi Ian-- you are absolutly right. I feel as if I have deserted it--that I let it down even though it never let me down. I just wish I had the space to have kept it forever.
It impreses on me that I could never, ever sell my Commando after having had that for 30 years.
On this site we often talk of the value of bikes in £££s, but sometimes you have a bike that means so much to you that no amount of money could buy it.
And that is what I like about this site and the people on it-- even though it is for exWD bikes, it embodies the true spirit of motor cycling more than any other.

Here's a couple of my two who have both seen Daddy in the garage alot the last few years, Sebastian is still finds it a little too noisey, but Jess & I are proper biking rebels, got into a little local trouble, as she likes sitting on the tank, going up & down the very quite dead end lane outside the house, I thought it a good idea just to do a loop round the lane onto the main road for about 300 yards, the locals didnt think that was a very good idea and threatened to call the rozzers on me, as if I'd put my own daughter in danger..at my parents house we have lots of nice private roads so she's rather keen in the summer, I was teaching her throttle control, but no I didn't say to the locals "put down your copy of the Daily Mail, have you been to India, Thailand recently or nothing about how long I've been riding bikes for" anyway, it wont stop us.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Needless to say, my plan is that they get the bike if I don't make it home or when I don't, chances are there won't be any petrol left anyway for them in 20 years, so it should make a nice bit of furniture for them.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Lovely kids

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Sam, will you be at FIG2 this year?

It's funny how a motorcycle, or even hearing one roaring in the distance can be so evocative. Cars are just transport (and necessary in winter due to a few too many injuries) but bikes are living things. I suppose that to a biker, his bike is like a horse to it's rider. I doubt if many of our grandchildren will be riding our bikes because it is so hard and expensive to get a license now. Governments and other interfering bodies are intent on destroying all we hold dear.....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

You can be certain that car enthusiasts - whether classic, custom, kitcar, hothatch or whatever - feel every bit as passionate about their wheels as anyone else.

Wheels is wheels. Mobility is everything.

Kit, Samuel--- thanks for sharing those photos. My daughter is on my bike on the visitors bikes page. Kit- keep taking her out sitting on the tank, those memories will stay with her.
I have just had a look over the visitor bikes page for the first time in a while--- and there is a strong thread of us enjoying our bikes with our dads or children

Michael, I dont think I'll make the GAP this year, I always tell myself I will in the summer, then January arrives and the 13 hour drive with the weather we've been having this winter discourages me. I guess you might be the only British bike owner to slip and slide on the ice this year! :-)
As for the Norton Vs Bsa debate, most of the WWII accounts I've read from Canadian soldiers are that whenever they could ditch a BSA and grab a Norton or a G3L, they did it, so I guess 2 Nortons might be in order.

No Im not going to FIG1. Im going to FIG2 at the end of March. Much better weather. Much more tactical oriented. Thats also the vehicle event. Im pretty sure it is invitation only. I go with 15th Recce. I think we will have alot of our vehicles out this year. The Humber and some dingos, surely the halftrack.

I know a Canadian DR. He has shared some stories about riding his Norton during the war. He told me he was never given an option. They rode Harleys in Canada. When he got to England all the Canadian DR's were given Nortons.

Michael, I knew I had a photo of the bike with my buddies carrier, we painted both with the same paint, and markings of the NNSH's. They look pretty sharp as a matching set. Does the 15 Recce have three carriers?? Seems like I remember them from an event in western PA several years ago.bike carrier

I emailed Bill Costello direct about the film and the donation page. He did reply and below is the text of that e mail.
Just thought you might like to hear it from the 'horses mouth'....Ian

'Hi Ian,
I'm glad you liked the story. I guess you didn't get the story unfortunately, if you think a scam was involved. You would not have seen the story if I didn't pay $1000 to a greedy record company.
I don't have $1000, maybe you do. So I found a legal way for me to keep sharing my story.
About 1300 people have thanked me so far for keeping it up on You Tube. I feel I made the right choice.
Anyway, I am not sure how you saw my donation page as it is finished. The $1000 has been raised and the donations are automatically stopped once the amount reaches $1000.
I did not make a cent, nor would I want to. It is now not possible for you to donate even if you try...
Bill from New York.'

Yep we had three carriers. The guy with the carriers moved on. Now we have three Daimler Dingos, a Daimler armoured car, 2 humbers, 3 halftracks,one carrier,a tilly,some cmps, a few jeeps, and my m20.

We rarely have everything at one event. Hopefully we will some day.

Nieuwe pagina 1