Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prewar Bronze Green?? on a 16H tailpiece.

Hi, there was talk about prewar bronze green on another post I cannot find right now, so here a new one.

Found this tailpiece of an 1936 16H recently, the inside has this colour I think??

Sprayed over black it seems, the outside is all KG3.

It looks very much like the postwar army green, but maybe a bit darker, what do the "experts" think??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Re: Prewar Bronze Green?? on a 16H tailpiece.

I think that you're absolutely correct Lex. Clearly an early set, with ribbed tailpiece and flat single top mount plate bracket.

A number of parts on mine were painted KG No.3 over black, including the forks. It would be reasonable to assume that parts for the WD bikes were taken from the stock room along with the civilian parts.

The KG on this one seems to have been sprayed on the bike in situ which is a nice detail.

Where's the rest of the bike ? I want it !

Well, Rik, for a start you can buy this assembly!!!

It's too early for your bike!!

Lex

Lex

Is that a 1936 contract plate? That would make it the earliest we've found so far!

Cheers,
Jan (rewdco)

Photobucket

“And now it's your turn to get up off that couch and go into the deserts, go into the mountains, go under the lakes, rivers, and seas and search for history. You'll never find a more rewarding adventure!” (Clive Cussler)

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I thought the post war DBG (Dark Bronze Green) was the same colour as the pre war colour. Being painted over black and the effects of age might have affected the pigments a tad as well...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Jan (rewdco)
Lex

Is that a 1936 contract plate? That would make it the earliest we've found so far!

Cheers,
Jan (rewdco)

Jan, the plate is blank! or scratched out, or a repro, don't know about that, it looks strange.

Lex

Ian Wright
I thought the post war DBG (Dark Bronze Green) was the same colour as the pre war colour. Being painted over black and the effects of age might have affected the pigments a tad as well...Ian

Ian, the black is under the green, not over it, but it must have changed over the years, was surprised it's so glossy, didn't they do a matt aswell later on??

Lex

Alex
Ian Wright
Being painted over black and the effects of age might have affected the pigments a tad as well...Ian

Ian, the black is under the green, not over it, but it must have changed over the years, was surprised it's so glossy, didn't they do a matt aswell later on??

Lex

It's a language thing Lex...'being painted over (on top of)black' didn't mean 'being painted over WITH black'...sorry....Ian

Aah, OK, sorry, it's getting late anyway.

Lex

PS, have a nice M20 petrol tank here, something for you to buy????

Lex, there was indeed a short period of dull green in 1939 but bikes in service probably went from green to khaki green.

The ribbed tail is nice but I'm committed to accuracy so I won't be replacing mine. It is a nice 'hebbedingetje' though.

A 1936 bike would have had a civilian number plate in most locations. The census number was probably painted in 1940. Any idea what all the holes were used for ? Where did it come from ?

If the plate is original, I'd expect a painted on civil registration, as Rob vdB found on his.

Do you have the rear mounted Vokes to go with it ?

Hi Lex...I sold that tank about 3 years ago, maybe 2 and just bought it back for twice as much...sign of the times and the surging demand for parts.
...Ian

the amount of holes in that numberplate looks like he was riding away from the enemy who machine gunning him

Nieuwe pagina 1