Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox Questions

Due to wear of the Kickstart Spindle Bush (outer), I will fit a new one. But I am wondering why the other end of the Kickstart Quadrant (inner) has such a loose fit. About 0.008 inch clearance. And no signs of excessive wear. I saw a picture where the quadrant steel forcing got a steel bush in it. Close fit with the brass outside diameter of the Layshaft Bush (inner cover). Is this a modification?

My Kickstart Ratched Pinion has, at his ratched end, shortened tooth. I cannot figure out how that could happen during normal use. I saw a picture where it was also. Is this normal?
What is the function?

Who makes this clear? Thanks in advance, Lammert

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Gearbox Questions

why do some of these photobucket photos enlarge when you go onto the photobucket site and some won't

Hi Lammert..Because the M20 has such a large kickstart quadrant bush in the outer cover and the quadrant itself is such a large diameter, the back of the layshaft bush is not really involved in supporting the other end. I think the steel bush you described is a modification which might have been done to compensate for a worn cover bush.
The first coupe of teeth of the kickstart quadrant are 'relieved' or cut away slightly as standard to help initial engagement with the adjacent gear (which also has an altered tooth form for the same reason)....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Ian, thank you for your answer. This makes it totally clear.

Roger the new uploaded pictures are all loaded as small ones.
I will investigate. Regards, Lammert

Nieuwe pagina 1