Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
buckfastleigh military weekend

Hi Chaps
The Buckfastleigh military weekend is it on ? any dates ,will we be able to camp on the site ?ie caravan ?
John

email (option): john @fieldandrurallife.com

Re: buckfastleigh military weekend

Hi John

Buckfastleigh is the 9th-10th July this year, Jenny is the chief rally steward and she has a white camper

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi rob

What kind of event is this ? Is there any bike riding in the countryside or is it a static living history weekend ?

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks Rob
Great news looking forward to meeting up its a nice DR trip after France fab riding round the moor john

Hi Jon
I did this in 09 great riding the weather was not good , still had a great time really enjoyed John

It's one of the best events for riding out John. A couple of convoys each day round the local area and across the moors to the pub at Widecombe. Plus motorcycles only rides following Ian round Dartmoor. Keep together though because if the 'BEAST' doesn't get you the 'HOUNDS' will.....or the wild boar! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

ooooh, its the horrible hairy hands you got to watch out for upon the moor...

lots of nice rides out in the area,

For those who haven't been before this is the normal routine.

The show is held in the field next to Buckfastleigh station at one end of the South Devon Railway which runs lots of steam trains to Totnes and back, if you are in uniform you get to ride as often as you like free.

There is always lots of WD bikes, a wide assortment of mostly WW2 vehicles and several Militaria stalls.

Usually members of the Devon Area MVT cook cheap Breakfasts (and sometimes an evening meal)on a mobile field kitchen.

Usually there is a BAR on site with local real ale.

It is within walking distance of the town which contains lots of pubs a very good chippie and a great Piza place.

Lots of convoys as previously mentioned including the main run across Dartmoor on the Saturday evening to a Pub in Widecombe in the Moor.

You can arrive as early as Thursday and stay until Monday.

"Horrible hairy hands" are optional

Hi rob/Ron

That sounds like a good weekend that, bike riding, beer & pizza

Will put that gig in my diary

Thanks for the info men

Jo'b

havent got hairy hands would wooly gloves do do you neeed to book it or just turn up

I've emailed Jenny. Perhaps she can comment later.

Ron

Thanks Ron ....

I've been away and not had chance to catch up on the forum....

Buckfastleigh is 'under new management' .... some woman who rides a WD bike I'm told ....

Date is 9th and 10th of July , with camping from the friday night (or thursday by arrangement)....

The event is held in collaboration with the local steam railway 40's weekend , though military vehicles of all eras are very welcome.There is usually free travel on the train for attendees wearing 40's uniform or civvy clothing- to be confirmed this year.

Living history and other relevant displays are very welcome but this is a Military Vehicle Trust weekend - it's about the vehicles....(especially bikes obviously ...!) Uniform welcome but by no means required.

Entry forms will be required and are being sorted as I write, I will post a link to the website when on there or will happily email out.Late entries will not be a problem but early entries get a better spot!

More details after MVT meeting tomorrow , but I'm looking to follow the formula of cheap breakfast , 'bar'/ beer tent , road runs etc.... A fairly laid back affair (well as much as it can be with the 55 page Health and Safety blurb I have to follow .........groannnn - this is why I there must be an entry form complted at some point...)

Last couple of years there have been some issues around green / civvy camping etc. Entry form when finalised will give clear options and all are very welcome.Common sense will be the order of the day...

We'd be delighted to have lots of 'DR's' to help with the road runs or simply enjoy the weekend.We have a shelter for the bikes to park under...

Any volunteers to assist with other stuff readily accepted and if you know me I may suggest you 'volunteer' for something on the day ...!! Many hands make light work ....

See you there.....

email (option): jennycook163@hotmail.com

Hi Jenny, I can come up on Friday AM...possibly Thursday, for general duties. Also I'll work out a route for the bike only run if required. Can also stay on until Monday to help clear away....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Ian consider yourself signed up.... AND you've put it in writing !!!!

DOOOH!...me and my big mouth ...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Entry forms now available - email me - be great to get lots of bikes.....

Camping thursday to monday....7-11 July.... beer tent ,road runs....

I'm looking forward to it.

Here are a few picys from previous years Rob.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Looks like a great weekend.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Its not too late to book in, I understand we have around 20 bikes already and the beer is on order

Some more from previous years.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You guys have all the fun!!!!!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I've been out round the moors today in glorious sunshine doing a 'recce' for the bike only mystery tour. Was forced to stop twice for ice cream and had a cup of tea with Colin Harmes.(don't want to risk dehydration)..I'll be there Thursday about mid day...'be there or be square' Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi All looking forward to this weekend ,hope to arrive early evening on the Thursday any one else arriving Thursday ,John

email (option): John

Thursday for me, and staying till Monday. Rob.

I'll try and hook up with you John. I'll give you a ring. Ron

I'm off to the site shortly ....

Over 20 bikes entered , so should be a great weekend for those on two wheel..... Lotsof four wheld MV's too !

Late entry accepted on the gate - just bring a completed entry form - avaialable here ,with directons :

http://www.devonmvt.co.uk/buckfastleigh.html

I'll be there around 12-1 O'clock...after a nice ride across Dartmoor... ...Ian

I'll be leaving later this afternoon by car and trailer. The beauty of going by car is that I can pump my air bed at home with my compressor rather than by mouth...which makes me dizzy Ron

Buckfastleigh military weekend 2011

Even though I trailered my M20 to Buckfastleigh (for logistical reasons) I still appear to have clocked up 116 miles this weekend

Re: Buckfastleigh military weekend 2011

And here are a few stills from this year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A great weekend again at Buckfastliegh..the 'Bike only' rideout over the moors was great fun...but don't memtion the cows that jumped out of the hedge or the sheep and ponies that run loose on the moors and have no concept of road safety!
The stone bridge in the photos made from slabs of granite is known as a 'clapper bridge' and dates from prehistoric times...Ian

Hi all
What a fab weekend thanks to all that work very hard to make this happen , great to see all the dr bikes on the runs
John Tina chloe Fred maureen

email (option): John@fieldandrurallife.com

Is the weekend enough of a focal point to warrant doing from abroad ? I haven't reverberated across Dartmoor for about twenty years and I miss the place.

How long a weekend could I reasonably make of it ? The 16H is dying to get back to Blighty for the first time since 1940 (I haven't told it that Bracebridge Street has closed )

And I thought you were called John Allison! ...Nice to see my old bike getting a good thrashing John....Ian

Hi all
What a fab weekend thanks to all that work very hard to make this happen , great to see all the dr bikes on the runs
John Tina chloe Fred maureen

Rik
Is the weekend enough of a focal point to warrant doing from abroad ? I haven't reverberated across Dartmoor for about twenty years and I miss the place.

How long a weekend could I reasonably make of it ? The 16H is dying to get back to Blighty for the first time since 1940 (I haven't told it that Bracebridge Street has closed )

Rik, you would be made very welcome, this year there were quite a few of us on site from Thursday till Monday. Rob.

Cheers Rob, Is there a date set for next year ?

It looks idyllic but I know of course that Dartmoor can look a bit different when it's blowing and raining.

No date yet but its usually two weeks (occasionally one week) before Beltring.

Well done on the photography Rob. I wonder where you went that didn't include me? I clocked up 104 miles.
It was some great riding and we got away with the weather. A couple of us nearly came a guttser with some foals and later some cows, but we got away with that also.
I found this attached to my bars later as a souvenir of the event. Ron

Photobucket

Hi Ian ,,,,She does like a good thrashing And yes the bike went well

did I every tell you of the story THE COW JUMPED OVER THE M20

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

An excellent weekend which was well organised, thanks to all the Devon locals and others who made it possible. A great mix of road runs, bike plus convoy and just bike, something for everybody. Strange how cows are attracted to some bikes, or riders, more than others!

It's not often you can get a cow to do a "piece to camera", looked pretty impressive from where I was riding, good reactions, well done Sir!

Hi John
Good meeting up, great weekend
John what was the 40s event you where telling me on the train
John
john@fieldandrurallife.com

Next year for sure for me, no birthday parties to attend !!

Dartmoor looks different in the sunshine, last time i went over, i could hardly see with rain, the m20 still performed though

In the diary

Jo'b

Hi John
The event was "Wartime in the Vale". Check out "Ashdown Camp Evesham", they have a web page with all the details.

Thanks John

Will take a look
all best John

Great photos Rob , glad you all enjoyed it....

Great to have the convoy marshalled so well , even with some bikes feeling a little fragile .....

Hi Jenny
Well done to you and your team
Super weekend great ride out with Ian on sat ,,,,Rob do you think you could find something with hills!!!!,!! That was great fun

After some starting issues on my Enfield and even having to be push started on one occasion and after repeatedly blaming and stripping the carb. I have just pulled the mag off to find that there is something seriously amiss with the drive end bearing. Causing the armature to wobble around like a dick in a bucket. It's now in the magneto hospital Ron

Hi Folks
If you have yet to enjoy buckfastliegh weekend check the pictures below with all the DR s , great weekend
John

Hi John, can you make it this year? I thought you said you had another event on.

Rob

I'll be there from the Thursday this year (late morning)....Looking forward to it as usual...Ian

Friday for me However I shall not be following the others up God forsaken moorland tracks this time. I much prefer the tarmac with sheep, cows, and ponies.
Not forgetting "The Beast of the Moors" Who I gather will be there from Thursday morning

Ron

Hi rob
All change in the camp we will all be there can't await ,see u on Thursday , leave Monday something
John

Good news John

We will be there Thursday morning too.

Don't forget that this year we are behind the railway rather than our usual field, there will be enough space for everyone but we need your entry forms to sort out where to put people and to order the food for breakfast.

Email me for a form

Rob

Hi Rob
We will see you on Thursday do not include my family for breakfast
Keep Dad and I on the bar list ,Pops is looking forward to your best bitter Cheers
Let me know what the charge is for donuts mum and Chloe-Liz think they are wonderful

I am in hospital at mow can't get on my emails , so will sort with you ,later should be out by Sunday fingers crossed

But please put us down for 4 people and two vehicles same as last year

Cheers Rob

John

Newsflash

Along with the "FREE" Breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday, we are also putting on a "FREE" Hog Roast on the Saturday evening cunningly timed for the return of the survivors of the Widecombe road run, washed down with subsidised local real ale.

BUT in order to plan this we need completed entry forms, with a deadline this Friday so ingredients can be ordered and space allocated.

Rob

Nieuwe pagina 1