WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1000 cc twin BSA M40?

1000 cc twin M20 or M40?

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: 1000 cc twin BSA M40?

Hi Henk..Any background story on this one?..I have a magazine article somewhere about a double engined M20 built by a guy who was an apprentice at the tank museum (very appropriate!) ..That bike used oversize M21 engines and was actually around 1400cc.
Bizarrely he had timed it as a single with both cylinders firing at the same time. It was said to cruise comfortably at 70mph or so but was nearly a foot longer than a standard bike.
I thought this might be the same machine but looking at the 80 spoke front wheel I'm not so sure. Interesting foot long gearchange lever. If it is M20 engines it seems like a lot of trouble to go to for 26BHP !..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,

The bike is for sale at www.oldtimerweb.be

Henk.

No price shown..and the contact for would be purchasers is in Indonesia...so that could be 'double trouble' ...Ian

I think it's quite a special bike, special but also ugly

Ugly...and heavy...and not too good on twisty roads. But it got rid of that spare engine he kept tripping over in the shed ..Ian

when i was in the army they had some mini mokes they also had 2 which they called mini mules they had an engine in the front and the rear to give it 4 wheel drive but it was usless they couldnt keep the 2 engines in sinc it was like pulling against each other the only way to drive it on the road was to put one engine in neutral another one on the scrap heap porbably worth money now

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Is that 26 bhp and 22½ mpg? Not that fuel "economy" would have been of concern to this builder.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

It could be a handy way to carry some spare parts when you are touring.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

With the two engines set to fire 'opposite' to each other it would be easy to supercharge...so you could have four times the BHP of a standard bike... with fuel consumption in the 11 mpg range. Top speed might then peak out nearly as high as that of a badly tuned Japanese 250...( just before the Indonesian frame welding broke in half).. ....Ian

It would make a good sidecar hack!

Nieuwe pagina 1